Posts Tagged “deloitte kenya graduate recruitment careers August 2012”
Mercy Corps Livestock Livelihoods Program Specialist Job in Kenya 2012
Mercy Corps Kenya is currently responding to the drought by increasing access to affordable water in Wajir County, northeast Kenya. The Emergency Drought Response in Northeastern, Kenya will provide immediate emergency, rebuild the livelihoods of target communities and build the capacity of local organizations involved in the implementation of the program.
The proposed program integrates the principles of response to immediate needs, restoration of livelihoods, and capacity building for long-term recovery.
In our continued response to emergency and disaster, Mercy Corps seeks an experienced Livestock Livelihoods Program Specialist for our Wajir Drought Response and Early Recovery Program in North Eastern Kenya.
For our Relief and Recovery for Northern Kenya’s Drought-Affected Population and Livestock Economy (ReKNDLE) program, Mercy Corps seeks an experienced Livestock Livelihoods Program Officer.
General Position Summary:
The Livestock Livelihoods Program Specialist is overall responsible for the day to day implementation of the livestock component of ReKNDLE in Wajir County.
The Program Specialist will work closely both with management and support staff (including finance, administration and program) in the Wajir Office to ensure the day to day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
The Program Specialist Reports directly to the Program Manager with written and oral activity and budget reports.
The Program Specialist will assist the Program Manager in outlining a strategic plan for the implementation of this program including identifying target areas/projects, methods of operation for effective programming and maximum results.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist the Program Manager and M&E team in conducting survey, make recommendations on needs and vulnerability of beneficiary populations;
- Work collaboratively with and other project stakeholders in designing and implementing an integrated program using participatory methodology;
- Supervise the day to day implementation of activities of the program such as slaughter destocking, animals-for-work, animal feed vouchers, de-worming tablets, livestock vaccination and animal management trainings;
- Foster a collaborative team atmosphere which engages the stakeholders;
- Develop working relationship and coordinate with relevant international and local agencies active in livestock livelihoods;
- Conduct regular progress meeting with beneficiaries and other stakeholders including local authorities, INGOs, and Local NGOs;
- Manage and training of field supervisors and monitors;
- Prepare regular report on project status;
- Conduct regular needs assessment and prepare communication materials;
- Document program success stories regularly;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports Directly To: Program Manager
Works Directly With: M&E Specialist, Program Team, Operations
Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree in social science, animal health, livestock marketing or other relevant subjects;
- Minimum three years experience in project implementation and field supervision in livestock livelihoods;
- Robust technical knowledge on livestock livelihoods in Northern Kenya, preferably in Northeastern Province;
- Analytical and report writing skills required;
- Proficiency with excel databases required;
- Experience with Logical Framework Analysis and Participatory Rural Appraisal required;
- Proficiency in oral and written English and Kiswahili required, Somali language skills preferred.
- Commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation;
- Creative ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking and dedication to high-quality program implementation;
- Knowledge and understanding of Somali society;
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and keep to deadlines;
- Strong team player and communicator;
- Willing to interact effectively with international and national personnel and other partners.