Posts Tagged “community jobs in kenya 2012”
Mercy Corps Jobs in Western, Nyanza, Rift Valley, Central, Nairobi and Coast 2012
Mercy Corps has recently been awarded a 3-year program under USAID’s Yes Youth Can initiative, covering six regions in Kenya; Western, Nyanza, Rift Valley, Central, Nairobi and Coast.
The core of this program is a Youth Innovate for Change Fund (YICF), which will be a youth-owned, youth-led and youth-managed financial facility to support local solutions for community economic development as it grows in value.
This program aims to appropriately empower Kenyan youth (15-35yrs) to strengthen their socio-economic and political stakes through youth-led and managed initiatives and institutions.
The YICF will in the first three years provide sustainable financial and skills development assistance to approximately 200,000 youth through a variety of youth-identified social and economic community development projects.
General Position Summary:
Working under the direction of the Fund Manager, the Regional Manager is responsible for the overall quality of implementation and effectiveness of the Grant and Investment fund components of YYC-N Fund at the regional level.
The Regional Manager ensures compliance with the Grant and Investment operational manuals and any other additional guiding policy under this program on sub-granting or capitalization. This position will oversee Business Officers (grants), Investment Officers and Finance Officers working within the region.
The position executes a standardized funds disbursement process that is traceable, easy to audit and in a client friendly manner.
The Regional Manager is a key function in fraud prevention and management.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide hands-on management of regional staff, which includes Business Officers, Investment Officers and Finance Officers.. Ensure the fund operates efficiently, transparently and supports the overall objectives of YYC-N.
- Inculcate a culture and mindset of zero-tolerance to fraud within the Fund and develop and monitor a system of fraud detection and abuse of power. Promote a reputation of fair and honest dealings to all constituents.
- Work directly with Yes Youth Can – Regional Senior Management and field personnel to ensure smooth integration of the fund in respective region.
- Drive a client-friendly “front office” service delivery process based on operations manuals. Manage the business and investment officers, to ensure that grants and investment are used to supports the goals and aspirations of the Youth Bunges within the goals of the project and that all policies and procedures are followed.
- Work with the Finance Officer to ensure smooth funds disbursement schedules
- Maintain a solid, straight forward and easy-to-understand database/financial system of all the fund’s clients who are benefitting from the fund. This data base should be structured to produce on demand reports or snap shots of disbursements and repayments.
- Work with the Fund team to gradually and effectively utilize information from the data base for future strategic planning of the fund.
- Ensure proper filing of all hard copy documents and correspondence with clients.
- Oversee effective communication and conduct outreach to all of the Fund’s potential beneficiaries.
- Present monthly fund updates to the Fund’s management team
- Conduct spot-checks of field operations to ensure adherence to policies and procedures and immediately make performance improvements as indicated.
Accountability Reports Directly To: Fund Manager
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five or more years of progressive and sound financial management experience is required. Solid experience from the private sector preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced from a recognized college or university with a major study in business administration, financial management, economic development, or similar field. Each additional year of approved formal education may be substituted for one year of required work experience. A professional accounting training is desirable.
- Four years’ experience in private financial sector and/or sub-grants management especially under a USAID grant.
- Experience in managing fraud within the NGO, public or private sector
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience,
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Zero tolerance for fraud
- Demonstrated understanding of a business environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and communicate effectively with team members to ensure achievement of overall program objectives.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage diverse teams in high-pressure context
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and build capacity of staff of varying skill, experience and aptitude levels.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results.
- Even temperament and a good sense of humor are appreciated.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability and compliance with donor, organizational and national policies and regulations.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor and characteristic to the position
Living /Environmental Conditions:
The position will be regionally based and require up to 50% within geographic territory that the Regional Manager is responsible for.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before Jan 07th February, 2012 at 4.00 p.m. a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject “Application for the position of REGIONAL MANAGER” (Include REGION of interest; CENTRAL, NAIROBI, RIFT VALLEY, NYANZA AND WESTERN).
Applications without this subject heading will be disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Qualified short-listed candidates will be contacted