Solidarites International Purchase Officer Job career in Nairobi Kenya 2014
Vacancy: Purchase Officer
Solidarites International is an international humanitarian organization which provides assistance to populations who are victims of armed conflict or natural disasters.
For 30 years, Solidarites International (SI) has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs: water, food and shelter.
By carrying out emergency programs, SI has acquired experience and expertise in the fields of WASH, food security, livelihoods and agriculture.
The purchase officer carries out the purchases for the programs and structure for his/her assigned base.
He/she is one of the guarantors for implementing and respecting Solidarités International purchase procedures.
He/she is responsible for filing and archiving logistics documents linked to purchases.
Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Start date: January 2014
List of main activities:
List of main activities:
Knowledge and monitoring of the market:
- Take part in the analysis of the local purchasing environment
- Update price lists and supplier data base.
Implementation of purchasing process:
- Receive and process requests for quotes and IOFs after verification and approval by his/her line manager
- Prepare an analysis of the various bids/ quotations provided by the suppliers with an aim of selecting the best bidders for any particular transaction appropriately.
- Undertake systematic negotiation on prices for each purchase with suppliers and service providers.
- Liaise with suppliers and Purchase Manager in drafting of purchase and framework contracts.
- Conduct purchases while respecting the rules and approval procedures established by donors and Solidarités International.
- Ensure that products purchased correspond to the requirements in terms of quantity and quality
- Check truck loadings in case purchased goods will be load directly from the company/factory without passing through Solidarites
- Ensure that the format of, and information on quotes and invoices comply with required regulations
- Ensure compliance with administrative procedures for the management of advances and payment of suppliers
- Establish and archive purchasing files in accordance with the rules of Solidarités International and its donors.
- Responsible for monitoring and updating the IOFs database electronically.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with all suppliers at all times.
- Ensure the monitoring of IOF requests and inform purchase manager of the status of orders daily
- Ensure the closing of purchase files on a weekly basis.
- Ensure the compilation of price lists and suppliers weekly
- Responsible for the IOF follow up data entry and submission of the same to the purchase manager and Regional Logistics Coordinator weekly.
This list is not exhaustive. Transport and base management tasks could be added.
OrgChart Position (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Purchase Manager
Line Report(s) [on Base]: None
Qualifications and experience requested:
- Minimum “O” level with a Business/Bachelors of Commerce degree
- Professional training/Diploma in procurement and logistics
- Member of a professional body in logistic/ purchase & supply chain management
- Experience of logistics in NGO required ( minimum 3 years)
- Experience of purchase procedures
- Experience of cross cultural environment
- Experience in team management and planning
- Experience of working in a team required
Skills and competences
- Purchasing and supplies management
- High professional integrity
- Hard working
- Ability to propose and put into action new ideas
- English and Kiswahili oral and written.
- Excellent Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Good stress resistance
- Strong working capacity
- Sense of initiative
- Ability to work and cooperate in a multicultural team
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and CV with 3 referees to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the job title and location in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: 20th December 2013.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Solidarités International is an equal opportunity employer