ACDI / VOCA Engineer Job career in Kenya 2013
Since 1963 and in 145 countries, ACDI / VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI / VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
ACDI/VOCA has approximately 76 projects in 36 countries and revenues of about $170 million.
These services are estimated to be required at about 75% level of effort over the next year.
The purpose of this procurement is for the vendor to provide supervision of small-scale construction activities, focusing on the upgrading of livestock marketing infrastructure and facilities in feeder markets in rural livestock catchment areas in the counties of Marsabit and Isiolo, as well as the larger, strategic secondary markets in the two counties.
Projects are anticipated to include fencing, restraining facilities, loading ramps, holding crushes, basic animal health screening facilities, installation of weighing machines in markets, confinement lots, repairs of markets, water supply and sanitation, and shades that can be used for small enterprises, particularly those operated by women and youth, among other small-scale projects.
Required Tasks and Activities
The Vendor will assign a qualified resident engineer and quantity surveyor to support REGAL-AG throughout the entire construction process, from developing a bill of quantities upon identification of a project to monitoring the implementation of the construction.
Specifically, this will include:
- Upon REGAL-AG’s notification that an infrastructure project has been agreed upon with a grantee, liaise with REGAL-AG and the grantee to develop terms of reference and bills of quantity
- Develop blueprints, drawings, and/or schematics as needed
- Ensure that initial site visits are conducted, with initial environmental examinations, prior to implementation of the construction activities
- Provide recommendations for any environmental mitigation measures that will be required during or after the construction process to ensure compliance with USAID environmental regulations
- Participate in evaluation meetings for the procurement of goods and services for undertaking the construction
- Prepare a work schedule with the construction vendor and ensure the schedule is respected
- Supervise and monitor construction methodology and ensure construction is done in accordance to the design and bill of quantity
- Ensure construction progress is achieved in accordance to predetermined and agreed time tables and ensure activity schedules are met
- Provide certification of construction progress prior to payments to construction vendors
- Control the quality of the workmanship and report any deviations from agreed upon terms and conditions both to ACDI/VOCA and the construction contractor
- Control the quality of construction materials used on site and report any deviations
- Provide weekly updates on construction progress and issues to ACDI/VOCA and provide timely advice regarding any potential problems
- Provide notice to ACDI/VOCA regarding any occurrences that may require the issuance of a change work order (contract modification) to the construction contract
- Review completed construction project and ensure that it meets all quality, environmental, and other regulatory standards prior to final payment by ACDI/VOCA to construction vendor
- At least a degree in civil engineering
- Prior experience on USAID-funded construction projects preferred.
To be considered for this recruitment, please e-mail your resume to REGALAG@joinav.org.
Please include the position title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Only finalists contacted.
Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
Please apply by close of business, November 8th , 2013.