TechnoServe Consultancy Services to Develop a Subscription Based Herd Management Plan (HMP) for Small Holder Farmers 2013
Provision of Consultancy Services to Develop a Subscription Based Herd Management Plan (HMP) for Small Holder Farmers
Terms of Reference
Request for Applications
Applications are invited from Technical Consultants to develop a subscription based Herd Management Plan (HMP) for smallholder farmers.
Available literature on the Kenyan dairy sector mentions that 30% of milk produced is attributed to breed potential while the balance of 70% is attributed to animal husbandry which includes feeding, animal health and calf rearing among others.
The low figures in Kenya are attributed to poor animal health, breeds and feeding regimens, resulting from a myriad of constraints including poor access to information, low and inconsistent quality of feeds and extension services due to lack of adherence of standards and high cost of inputs.
Therefore, there is an opportunity to significantly improve productivity and profitability of dairy herds among smallholder farmers by developing and promoting a plan for organized routine and management practices, accomplished through disease and parasite control, reproduction and nutrition management.
TechnoServe, a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets, is one of the implementing partners of the Kenya Market Assistance Program (MAP).
- Major systemic change achieved in 3 to 5 market systems, resulting in aggregate average growth of 10% per annum above overall growth of the economy, with the position of poor people (both men and women) improving at a rate significantly greater than this.
- At least 400,000 poor people (as producers, employees, etc) positively affected at the end of MAP in terms of new jobs created, and incomes for 100,000 people increase by 10%.
- A 30% increase in peer perceptions of partners’ effectiveness and in stakeholders’ awareness and understanding of the approach.
MAP is interested in piloting a comprehensive herd management program, integrating preventative medicine, quality assured breeding services (focus on AI), nutrition and scheduled herd visits to review and advice on herd performance.
Statement of Purpose
MAP proposes to develop an integrative program of health, reproduction and nutrition management to address inputs and service delivery constraints in dairy farming.
- Common diseases and health concerns in dairy,
- Minimum nutritional requirements,
- Standard breeding (AI) and veterinary services, and
- Identification of reputable input suppliers of breeding, vet-care and feeds.
- Individual farmers registering their animals into the program.
- Cost effective subscription based services for three levels of subscribers (Gold, Silver and Bronze).
- Total service delivery fees including treatment, supplies and transport costs factored in the subscription fees.
- Improve sales and effectiveness of service delivery to small holder dairy farmers through an integrative program of health, reproduction and quality management.
- Improve sales of supplies and services to small holder farmers through a cost effective subscription plan.
- Improve operational efficiency among service providers including dairy hubs, AI and vet service providers.
We invite the prospective Consultant to provide a quotation for this piece of work together with an estimate of expenses.
Submission and receipt of proposals
The completed technical and budget proposals must be delivered via email address below:
So as to be received on or before 4.00 pm, 20th June, 2013
Any proposal received after the time for submission will not be evaluated.