KHRC Finance Officer – Budgets & Grants Job in Kenya 2013
To achieve this Mission, our firm belief is that it largely depends on the extent to which human rights practices are adequately rooted in communities.
Our approach therefore seeks to promote the culture of self-reliance amongst communities in order to enhance their independence and by extension their human dignity.
KHRC seeks to recruit a Finance Officer-Budgets & Grants (including supply chain) to support and strengthen our compliance with partnership requirements and our managerial and internal controls.
Purpose of the Job
To contribute to the fulfilment of the organization’s Mission and strategic objectives by providing expertise in various aspects of the finance and supply chain functions in line with KHRC’s policies and procedures and in support of our innovative and groundbreaking work in human rights.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Head of Finance, the position will:
Manage Donor funds, reporting and donor relations
- Lead in the preparation of the Commission’s annual budget. Issue of instructions, development of templates, monitoring for completeness, consolidation and presentation.
- Managing processes of tracking proposals, donor contracts, income recognition, donor reporting & invoicing, tracking donor payables & receivables. Extract on a monthly basis information from donor financing agreements and prepare brief statements on confirmed secured funds and potential funding for management action
- In compliance with donor requirements, ensure that appropriate financial procedures and standards are implemented and monitored in the organization.
- Maintain and update regularly a donor reporting schedule and ensure donor reports are prepared and sent at least a week before the due dates.
- Review donor reports prepared by programme/project staff and ensure compliance to donor requirements in terms of activities undertaken and that they compare with the respective financial outlays
- Identify budgetary variances and solicit for information on the same for communication to donors
- Respond to Donor queries.
- Periodically liaise with respective donors to ensure approved funds are disbursed to KHRC bank accounts.
- Ensure Operational plan budget input from all staff.
- Assist to prepare accurate annual budgets and share with all staff for their comments.
- Present budgets to the management committee for review.
- Work closely with the Head of Finance in prioritizing & allocating funds in consultation with the ED, DED, and SPOs
- Identify budgetary variances and solicit for information on the same from budget holders.
- Regularly consult with budget holders on budgetary revisions.
- Secretary to the Procurement and Disposal Committee, you will lead the prequalification of all providers of goods and services to the commission
- Ensure that Procurement guidelines and laid down procedures are followed to the latter
- Contacting suppliers to schedule or expedite deliveries, to resolve missed or late deliveries and shortages, tracking the status of requisitions, orders and contracts, and reviewing requisition orders to verify terminology, specifications and accuracy
- Reviewing and maintaining price lists, reports and purchasing files and that the goods meet the specifications.
- Maintain relationship with service providers and ensure strict adherence to Service Level Agreements.
- Responsible for the review of the monthly payroll and prepare the month to month reconciliation
- Allocation of staff time on a monthly basis with input from the program staff
- Full costing, cost classifications & allocations, linkages of staff costs as a cost driver to allocable costs.
- Understanding, assessing, designing and implementing a sub grantee grants system to ensure timely disbursement & accounting of sub grants
- Review cash position and prepare quarterly cash forecasts with recommendations of investments if funds can allow
- Banking and collection of funds to and from the bank
- Sending funds via M-pesa or other facilities to clients
- Manage both KHRC and project petty cash
- Ensure all petty cash payments are supported by valid documentation.
- Record all petty cash payments for replenishment.
- Make quarterly petty cash certificates for approval by the Head, Finance and Administration
- Maintain the Commissions copier records
- Maintain a record of equipment in the possession of each staff member.
- Update and maintain the fixed asset register by assigning reference numbers to all additional items and on re-assignment of assets.
- Prepare a fixed asset movement schedule on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure all KHRC assets are adequately insured
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or its equivalent from a recognized university;
- CPA ( K/Finalist ) or its equivalent;
- A minimum 4 years of related experience preferably in the NGO sector;
- Good practical understanding of management of grants,
- Good understanding of procurement processes and general guidelines;
- Working knowledge of Serenic Navigator is an added advantage;
- Self-motivated, organized, collegial and ability to work well under pressure;
- Willing to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to resolve conflicts;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact and discretion when dealing with people.
The KHRC is an equal opportunity employer and will seek to recruit the most qualified person for the job irrespective of race, color, marital status, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.
Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.
Only successful candidates will be contacted