ILRI Commercial Services Manager Job in Kenya 2013
Vacancy Number: CSM/CS/06/2013
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 2 years with the possibility of renewal
We are seeking a forward-thinking, experienced, and dynamic facilities manager with the business acumen and vision required to bring our research and campus facilities to a world-class standard.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles that livestock plays in pathways out of poverty in developing countries.
ILRI is a member of CGIAR, a global agricultural research partnership working for a food-secure future.
ILRI has a large portfolio of facilities which includes laboratories, offices, farm buildings, gardens, roads, stores, power and water systems, staff housing and leisure facilities.
Many maintenance tasks relating to these facilities have been outsourced, and this program of outsourcing non-core tasks is expected to continue in the near future. In this regard, ILRI seeks to recruit Commercial Services Manager.
The Commercial Services Manager will be responsible to the Director of Corporate Services for the delivery of services and processes that ensure that ILRI continues to provide a suitable working environment for ILRI staff, visiting researchers, hosted institutions and trainees.
Under the guidance of the Director of Corporate Services, s/he will be responsible for ensuring that these services are delivered in a manner that reflects best commercial practices; and will manage future development of ILRI’s Nairobi campus.
- Planning for future development in line with strategic business objectives of ILRI;
- Allocation of office and laboratory space;
- Planning, coordination and management of all facilities management activities;
- Provision of advice regarding commercial viability of proposed property developments;
- Implementation of continuous improvement of processes and systems;
- Ensure compliance with policies, procedures and health safety requirements;
- Establish and maintain service level agreements and ensure that performance levels are met;
- Ensure tenders are compliant with procurement procedures;
- Overall project management with particular focus on the quality of work completed under facilities maintenance and capital development programs;
- Regular review and comment on facilities management procedures to ensure that best commercial practices are being followed, with particular attention to the development of new and/or improved revenue streams;
- Annual estimates of revenue and expenditure for each cost centre and the total facilities management process;
- Management of staffs in the Supply Chain, Technical Services and the Housing and Catering units currently with around 60 staffs.
- Master’s degree in a business related field, with at least 5 years relevant working experience; or a Bachelor’s degree with 10 years’ exceptionally strong experience in facilities management.
- Professional training in leadership and project management is an advantage
- The successful candidate will have good computer skills and good English languages skills.
- S/he will have demonstrable professional skills and experience in the following areas:
- Commercial property management and development
- Ability to develop and maintain good lines of communication with a diverse customer base and stakeholders including internal researchers and support staffs, and with ILRI’s suppliers of goods and services
- Ability and willingness to objectively prioritise tasks
- Confidence to make decisions, often with imperfect knowledge of all relevant data, and to implement these decisions.
- Good people management skills
- Delegate work to staff and monitor their implementation of these delegated tasks.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. The position is on a 2 year contract with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Job level and salary
This position is Job Grade 4B, with an attractive salary and benefits package.
Location: The position will be based at the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV combined as one document addressed to the Human Resources Director, explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience by 21st June, 2013.
Log on to: http://www.myjobsinkenya.com/ilri_jobs.
The position title and reference number REF: CSM/CS/06/2013 should be clearly marked on the cover letter.
Only online applications will be considered, and only short listed candidates will be contacted.