IOM Senior Regional Finance Assistant Job in Nairobi, Kenya 2013
Vacancy Open To Internal and External Candidates
Terms of Reference
I. Position Information
Vacancy Notice: IOMKE/VN/16/2013
Position title: Senior Regional Finance Assistant
Position grade: G6
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration of Contract: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Seniority band: Band III
Job family: Support
Organizational unit: Finance
Position Number: Office of the Regional Director
Position rated : Yes
Subject to rotation: No
Reporting directly to: Regional Resource Management Officer
Overall supervision by: Regional Director
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director (RD) in the mission with Regional functions in Kenya and the direct supervision of the Regional Resource Management Officer (RRMO), the incumbent will be responsible for providing specialized budgetary, financial, human resource and administrative support to the countries under the Regional Office in Kenya.
The incumbent will also work closely with Resource Management colleagues in the Region to ensure compliance with the IOM and the donors’ financial rules and regulations, and to carry out the following duties and responsibilities:-
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide specialized assistance to the RRMO in ensuring first-line support , guidance and training in the region with respect to IOM’s policies and procedures relating to administrative, financial, HR, IT and procurement matters
- Provide guidance and support in the implementation of appropriate processes, mechanisms and internal controls in the Country Offices within the region.
- Advise on risk management of projects and offices in the region and inform RRMO/RD accordingly and suggest and initiate remedial actions.
- Monitor the financial management function in the region to address issues relating to accounting, budgeting and treasury matters in a timely fashion.
- Ensure timely submission of necessary financial and human resources reports and documentation of the Country Offices within the region to relevant HQ Departments and to MAC/PAC, as appropriate.
- Inform the RRMO of urgent financial, personnel and other resource needs or of risks resulting from resources mismanagement or fraud pursuant to established rules and instructions.
- Provide Support to the RRMO in managing the human resources function of Country Offices within the region. In coordination with PAC, as appropriate, exercise responsibility for recruitment, retention, separation and promotion of national staff in the Regional Office.
- Identify resource management-related training needs of the region; assist Chiefs of Missions of Country Offices in promoting career development of staff under their supervision in accordance with Human Resource policies; undertake staff evaluation for staff in the Regional Office.
- Provide support to the RRMO in Addressing safety and security management of IOM personnel, facilities and assets in the Regional Office; provide safety/security oversight of Country Offices within the region, in coordination with the UN DSS and/or IOM’s SSU.
- Work closely with the RRMO in ensuring the establishment and regular update of Business Continuity Plans (BCP) in the Regional Office as well as Country Offices within the region.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
- accepts and gives constructive criticism;
- follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies;
- meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs;
- monitors own work to correct errors;
- takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings.
- identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work;
- establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients;
- identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries;
- keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks.
- contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills;
- demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas;
- keeps abreast of developments in own professional area.
- actively shares relevant information;
- clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures;
- writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
- listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones;
- persuades others to consider new ideas;
- proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- convinces others to share resources;
- actively identifies
- opportunities for and promotes organizational change;
- presents goals as shared interests;
- articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments.
- provides constructive feedback to colleagues;
- identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers;
- provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations;
- uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures;
- holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations.
- sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others;
- identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others;
- organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned Handovers;
- identifies risks and makes contingency plans;
- adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals;
- allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members;
- effectively applies knowledge of multiple financial disciplines to monitor and manage the work of staff.
- effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline;
- develops/follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement;
- ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines;
- advocates incorporate of financial considerations into processes and procedures;
- masters subject matter related to responsibilities;
- identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities;
- incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress;
- treats all colleagues with respect and dignity;
- works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts;
- knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions.
- actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment;
- contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- gives credit where credit is due;
- seeks input and feedback from others;
- delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate;
- actively supports and implements final group decisions;
- takes joint responsibility for team’s work.
- learns about developments in available technology;
- proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions;
- understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
- establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs; builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties;
- identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet the needs of IOM.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Accounting or Business Administration, with a professional certification as chartered accountant or certified public accountant.
- Minimum five years of professional experience in finance, accounting, budgeting and business administration.
- Good knowledge of human resources management.
- Experience in liaising with country missions, governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable.
- Previous working experience in resource management capacity in an IOM office, and knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, P.O. Box
55040 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya or send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org