Maasai Mara University Vice Chancellor, DVC Admin Finance Planning and DVC Academic Research Student Affairs Jobs in Narok Kenya 2013
Maasai Mara University
Vacancies Announcement (Re – Advertisement)
Maasai Mara University was established as a fully fledged University through the award of a Charter by His Excellency Hon. Mwai Kibaki on 12th February, 2013.
Maasai Mara University is successor to Narok University College which was established in 2008 as a Constituent College of Moi University. The University has five Schools which are Education, Business and Economics, Science, Arts and Social Sciences, Tourism and Natural Resource Management.
The University is located 2 kilometers from Narok town and one kilometer off the Narok – Bomet Road.
Vision: To be a world class University committed to academic excellence for development
Mission: To provide quality university education through innovative teaching, research and consultancy service for development.
Develop an institution of excellence in teaching, training, scholarship, entrepreneurship, research, consultancy, community service, among other educational service and products, with emphasis on technology and its development, impact and application to society; Maasai Mara University Council invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent credentials to provide leadership to the institution in the position of Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Planning), Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic, Research and Student Affairs):
1. Vice Chancellor
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Vice Chancellor shall be as provided for in the Universities Act of 2012, and the Maasai Mara University Charter and Statutes, and shall include the following:
- The Vice Chancellor shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the University;
- The Vice Chancellor shall be the academic and administrative head of the University and as such shall provide strategic direction and transformative leadership to the University and represent the University nationally, regionally and internationally;
- The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible for the co-ordination, development and implementation of academic and administrative programs and policies of the University in accordance with prescribed Statutes, strategic plan, regulations and procedures, and shall implement the Council’s decisions and resolutions including those related to fundraising and resource mobilization and general development of the University;
- The Vice Chancellor shall provide innovative and transformative leadership in research, outreach, extension, networking, partnerships and linkages with government/regulatory agencies and other local/international institutions of higher learning.
- The Vice Chancellor shall be the Chairman of the University Management Board, Senate, and other key Committees.
- The Vice Chancellor shall have such other powers, duties and responsibilities as may be conferred upon him by Council in accordance with the Universities Act, 2012, the University Charter and Statutes.
- Be a holder of an earned PhD from a recognized university and be at the level of at least associate Professor
- Proven ability to coordinate and network with development partners in mobilizing resources for sustainable growth and development of the University.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of Kenya’s governance and business processes for the enrichment of the University’s ability to contribute significantly to National development and achievement of vision 2030.
- Have excellent understanding of major trends in National and International education and training and broad awareness of the major factors influencing the development of University Education in Kenya.
- Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience with proven senior leadership role in an academic or research institution.
- Have proven capacity as a curriculum innovator to plan and implement academic programmes that produce graduates of choice.
- Demonstrate the highest ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism in keeping with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
- Evidence of having served substantively, with demonstrable results, in the position of a Principal of a University College, a Deputy Vice Chancellor or in a similar position in a similar institution of comparable level.
Strategic leadership experience:
- Significant experience in strategic management and leadership
- Experience of developing and promoting external partnerships, building relationships with local/international partner institutions.
- Demonstrable skills to inspire and engage people in the development of ideas and successful delivery of strategic projects.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility within the role, building partnerships and influence at all levels.
- Leading, supporting, coaching and providing guidance to colleagues.
- Business planning and financial awareness, including allocating resources and monitoring of performance against financial targets.
2. Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Planning)
Ref: MaMU/DVC (AF&P) /2013
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of Deputy Vice-Chancellor Administration, Finance and Planning will include the following;
- Provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of planning, human resource Management, financial and physical resource management.
- Oversee the implementation of all procurement, fiscal, human resources, administrative policies and appropriate procedures to ensure efficient performance and delivery of services in the University in line with the strategic plan;
- Coordinate the preparation and implementation of the university budget financial statements and management reports for presentation to the University Management and University Council.
- Coordinate the design, implementation, maintenance and development of appropriate human resources policies, procedures, systems schemes of service that attract, develop and retain qualified and experienced human resources
- Maintain efficiency and good order of the University and ensure proper enforcement of the Universities Act, statutes and regulations;
- Be a holder of PhD and be either a Professor/ or Associate Professor of a recognized University;
- Have at least eight (8) years progressive experience in a senior leadership/management position such as Dean/Director, principal of campus, deputy principal of a university college or leadership of comparable levels at research and other institutions;
- Have demonstrable ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate administration and financial functions of the University and be familiar with financial planning, accounting and budgeting.
- Have demonstrated ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate Human Resource and other administrative and support functions of the university.
- Have demonstrated well development interpersonal skills
- Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya;
- Have excellent understanding of the latest trends in the management of Universities nationally and internationally with a view to making Maasai Mara University the best managed University.
3. Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic, Research and Students’ Affairs)
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic,Research and Student Affairs) will include the following;
- Provide leadership in the management of Academic Affairs to enhance high academic standards;
- Promote learning, research and innovations within the institution;
- Oversee the preparation and implementation of academic programs and regulations;
- Coordinate teaching, research and academic support for all academic programs;
- Coordinate the management of examinations, post-graduate studies and research, development of library, information and ICT services and the admissions of students;
- Maintain collaboration and linkages with both local and international institutions of higher learning for academic research and innovations programs;
- Ensure that the University Senate is properly advised in the development of programs in conformity to national and international standards and legally recognized profession bodies;
- Ensure the University constantly adopts innovative and modern systems for delivery of academic programs including e-learning and distance education;
- Co-ordination of the student welfare activities.
- Be a holder of PhD and be either a Professor or Associate Research Professor and be well published and an academic leader in his/her area of specialization;
- Have at least eight (8) years progressive experience in University leadership/management positions
- Be a recognized scholar as evidenced by refereed journals publications, University level books as well as project grants and awards;
- Have demonstrated competence in academic leadership
- Have excellent understanding of the current trends in university education and training in Kenya and globally and a broad awareness of the factors and conditions shaping the development of university education in Kenya and elsewhere;
- Have skills, capacity and determination to initiate and facilitate the development of relevant and quality market and society driven academic programs;
- Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution
- Have proven capacity in crafting and managing sustainable academic linkage programs with reputable academic institutions.
- Have proven ability to attract and effectively manage research funding to make Maasai Mara University the first among equals.
- Demonstrate highly developed ability to diversify and enrich student’s life and activities to mould proactive community of students to participate fully in national development.
Terms & Conditions of Service
Successful candidates, for the three positions, will be offered a competitive remuneration package, including house allowance and other benefits in accordance with the Kenya Government public service guidelines. The appointments will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable for a further period of five (5) years subject to satisfactory performance.
Application Guidelines and Statutory requirements for applicants for the three positions
Applications in ten copies, should be submitted together with a detailed curriculum Vitae detailing academic qualifications, professional experience, leadership and management roles, publications/awards/scholarships/funding, membership of professional associations, linkages and community service; copies of relevant certificates, email address and telephone contacts.
Must obtain clearance from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC), Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and a certificate of Good of Conduct.
Applications and referees’ confidential reports on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent to the undersigned. Applicants should indicate on the envelope the Reference number and the position applied for.
All those who applied for any of the above posts in the previous advertisements need to re-apply
All Applications should reach us on or before 5.00pm on 18 June 2013.
The Chairman of Council,
Maasai Mara University
C/o DNA 1515
P.O.Box 49010, 00100,
Maasai Mara University is an equal opportunity employer