Johanniter Nutrition Program Officer Job in Wau and Jur River County / Juba, South Sudan 2013
Job Title: Nutrition Program Officer
Organisation: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field.
The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany.
Johanniter International Assistance is the department for development co-operation and Emergency assistance, implementing and supporting mostly health projects world wide. (www.thejohanniter.de)
Job Location: Wau and Jur River County / Juba
Closing Date: 05.06.2013
Johanniter international Assistance returned to South Sudan in October 2011 to resume provision of Primary Health Care services to underserved communities where access to basic health services is scarce.
The organization has been registered as International NGO with the “Ministry Of Justice” and “South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SRRC)”, “Ministry of Labour and Public Services”.
It has also been recognized and registered with the South Sudan NGO Forum, UNOCHA and the Health Forum.
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in South Sudan is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of people.
Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people.
Furthermore the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is an essential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan program.
Johanniter is currently running a project on Integrated Service Delivery Program (ISDP) funded by USAID in Nagero County of Western Equatoria State.
The overall objective of this program is to increase access to the minimum package of quality Primary Health Care services in Nagero County, Western Equatoria State.
The Nutrition Program Officer will be
- reporting to: Country Director South Sudan and Head of Africa Desk (Berlin)
- working with: Nutrition Program Assistant, other team members South Sudan, Desk Officers and Technical Advisors in Berlin.
On demand by the South Sudan Country Office:
- To provide overall leadership and management for all aspects of Johanniter International Assistance nutrition program in South Sudan, in particular Western Bahr el Ghazal.
- To directly support the State and the County MOH in coordination, planning, monitoring, data collection/management and reporting of nutrition activities in Wau/ Jur River counties (Western Bahr el Ghazal).
- To liaise with other partners at national, state and county level.
Nutrition project preparation and management:
- Coordinate the implementation of a first rapid assessment in Jur River county
- Write the survey report, design the operational strategy regarding Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) in the county according to the results of the survey
- Develop a detailed implementation work plan and keep it up-to-date throughout the duration of the project.
- Support the County Health Department of MOH in monitoring of nutrition programs as per Integrated Management Severe Acute Malnutrition (IMSAM) protocols through supportive supervision field visits to Out-patient Therapeutic Care (OTP), Stabilization Centre (SC), Target Supplementary Feeding Programs (TSFP), Basic Supplementary Feeding Programs (BSFP) and Community mobilizations.
- Support the CHD at Jur River County in establishing county nutrition data and training of the County Nutrition Officer in all aspects of Nutrition programming.
- Ensure the monthly data bases for Nutrition are maintained and updated monthly reports are sent to the stakeholders (Unicef/ MOH).
- Support the establishment of Mother to Mother groups through Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) strategy
- Assist in ensuring administration of medical and nutritional treatment: proper dosages and administration, hygiene, storage and shelf-life.
- Coordinate and develop a procurement plan and keep it up-to-date throughout the duration of the project
- Assist in ensuring timely, proper and quality nutrition supplies, drugs and equipment in nutrition programs.
- Monitor spending and ensure that measures are in place to mitigate against risk of over- or under spending.
To support capacity building:
- Advise the CHD-MOH in identifying key areas of training in nutrition
- In consultation with partners and MOH at Country level support the development of training modules and presentations for different components of the CMAM (SAM, ICYF, MAM) guideline as well as different levels of trainees.
- Support nutrition trainings in the County and ensure that data base for staff trained are kept in the SMOH and shared with stakeholders.
- Provide coaching/mentoring /on the job training & regular supervision until skills are improved in management of malnutrition
To support nutrition information management
- To support timely report collection and compilation of the project data and share with partners and the necessary follow-ups
- To prepare monthly, quarterly and annual nutrition reports for the County including recommendations and share reports with the relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure through working with the partners that planning and coordination of County level SMART nutrition surveys are done timely. Areas with gaps are identified early and communicated to SMOH & the nutrition cluster.
To support nutrition coordination
- Support State and County based coordination meetings.
- Work closely with the State nutrition cluster to ensure nutrition contingency plans are developed.
- Coordinate together with the State cluster focal points timely nutrition response in any emergency within the state.
- Actively participate in cluster meetings
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in community-based nutrition programming and 2 years in Community- based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM).
- BSc degree in nutritional health or related field.
- Work experience in rural based communities in South Sudan or the region
- Strong experience in supportive supervision
- Good sensitivity to cultural aspects of rural communities.
- Good trainer, facilitator and supervisor
- Working knowledge in spoken and written English. Knowledge of Arabic an added asset
- Willingness to work in harsh conditions with minimal basic social services.
- A team-player, creative, innovative and able to mobilize diverse resources for results.
- Achieving quality results and service; Practicing accountability and integrity; communicating information effectively
- Thinking clearly, deeply and broadly, understanding the Humanitarian context, practicing innovation & creativity.
Terms and Conditions:
Duration: 6 month contract with possible extension
Start of contract June, 2013
Remuneration: Salary according to Johanniter tariff system
Applications (including cover letter, CV and 3 reference contacts of former employers) for this position should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Nutrition Program Officer” in the subject line of email.
Due to the urgency we shall start selection before the deadline.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.