International Rescue Committee (IRC) IT Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Position: IT Officer
Location: Nairobi (with frequent travels to Somalia)
Supervisor: Operations Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives.
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities.
The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgaduud), Mogadishu and Puntland regions implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance, protection and primary health reaching out to more than 250,000 conflict and drought affected Somalis.
Scope of work
The IT Officer shall report directly to the Operations Coordinator, or any other senior position in the Somalia country program as designated by the Country Director.
S/he will, however, will be accountable and responsible to the Regional IT staff in the region for all technical aspects of job performance.
Within one month of hire the Operations Coordinator in coordination with the Regional IT staff based in the Regional Nairobi office, will develop annual objectives and an agreed upon work-plan with the IT Officer as the basis for subsequent performance monitoring.
The IT Officer is responsible for assisting and facilitating the installation, configuration, staff training and operations of IT activities in IRC overseas project offices.
Fulfillment of these responsibilities requires extensive travel to and from project sites.
Prominent working relationships are the Country director, Deputy Director Operations, Logistics Coordinator and the Director, Field Office Technology in the field, and IT colleagues in the New York Headquarters office.
The post holder will specifically carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
(1) Installation & Configuration of:
- Servers, desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals.
- Local Area Network, wireless network, peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
- Windows 2000/2003 operating system, Domain and essential network services.
(2) Maintenance, Repair & Security:
- Perform preventative maintenance on all IRC computers and network resources.
- Create backup solutions for office/individual users and provide the necessary training on the use of these back-up solutions.
- Update appropriate network security procedures to safeguard system from physical harm, viruses, unauthorized users and damage to data.
- Create and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
- Create and maintain network file to include IP address, system access, email creation system etc.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Working towards a successful resolution of the problems clients present.
- Investigate local Internet connectivity options to obtain adequate bandwidth for Intranet and application connectivity (via VPN and/or Citrix) with New York Headquarters.
- Advise the country office and New York accordingly. Monitor the utility and service of Internet and network systems in IRC Nairobi, Mogadishu, Garowe, Galkacyo and other field offices that could be established in the future; and ensure that all bills are paid.
- Also, ensure that any discrepancies or problems are identified to the Operations Coordinator and or the Operations Manager for quick address
- Work with the IT Intern in the office to ensure that all issues around IT are handle efficiently to meet the needs of the staff Travel to any of the Somalia field offices to render the required IT support in a short notice without problems
(3) Training, Evaluation, & Testing:
- Develop and implement user and support staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users.
- Test and evaluate new technology.
- Advise site managers of the technology available to help accomplish their tasks and goals, and help them develop a technology implementation plan inclusive of system design and staff training.
- Prepare and submit trip reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels and future plans.
- Build capacity to the IT field focal points for them to be handling minor issues and understand how to solve IT problems through phone or internet messages.
- Mentor and coach the IT Volunteer in the office on IT issues for the volunteer to be able to trouble shoot problems in your absence especially when in the field – Somalia field offices
(4) Policies & Protocols:
- Develop plan for repair of dysfunctional laptops, desktop computers, photocopiers, printers, etc.
- Develop appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all IRC computer related equipment.
- Work with the Logistics Officer to identify through tender process, as per standard IRC policies and procedures, local supply chain for IRC IT requirements for the IRC Somalia program
- Review the computer status per field site and recommend replacement in a timely manner as per the required standards of the IRC IT protocols
Qualifications and Experiences
- College Degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical work experience.
- CCNE courses desired, MCSE or equivalent experience is required.
- PC Support experience, A+ Certification desired.
- At least five years experience in IT profession Outlook experience required, Exchange 2000 experience desired.
- Experience installing, configuring and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
- Computer imaging skills required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
To apply for this position, interested candidates should visit this link http://www.rescue.org/careers
Deadline for all applications: 7th June 2013
International allowances are not available for this position.