World Food Programme Senior Procurement Assistant Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Vacancy Announcement No: OMN/002/2013
Closing Date: 04 June 2013
Post Title: Senior Procurement Assistant
Grade: Service Contract SC6 (G6 equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP’s Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, based in Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy announcement is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the post of Senior Procurement Assistant in support of the Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa (OMN), based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Procurement Officer, the Senior Procurement Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Guide, train and supervise support staff engaged in the processing of procurement reports and returns from country offices and regional bureaux in the procedures, rules and regulations;
- Analyze, control and maintain data from various sources in procurement systems and take corrective action as necessary;
- Respond to queries regarding procurement data from staff in the unit and elsewhere in the Programme;
- Initiate administrative actions related to procurement information;
- Update and track processing of procurement actions;
- Prepare purchase orders and contracts for review by a Procurement Officer;
- Prepare statistical tables and standard reports;
- Oversee the data input into procurement related databases by administrative assistants and provide guidance on data input and validation;
- Maintain relevant internal databases and files; keep track of contractual agreements;
- Verify claims for accuracy and conformance with procurement rules and regulations;
- Brief/debrief staff members on issues relating to procurement transactions;
- Evaluate, develop, and recommend procedures. Participate in discussions on new/revised procedures and practices; interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions;
- Draft or prepare correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant procurement matters; review correspondence drafted by other assistants prior to clearance by supervisor, as appropriate;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Well organized, reports and/or records, put together independently with only general guidance.
- Well organized work with accurate information and databases; efficiently supervised team of support staff or work unit.
Critical Success Factors:
- Sound judgment; ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems.
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure;
- to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and others and to have a high sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Secondary school education preferably supplemented by Diploma in Business Administration/Management, or other related field.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible support experience including at least three years in a financial unit, human resources, audit, evaluation, resources, or another related field and at least one year at the G5 level or equivalent.
- Knowledge of WFP manuals in the area of procurement and financial rules and regulations. Knowledge of WFP’s Information System.
- Training and/or experience using MS PowerPoint and other WFP standard software including word processing, spreadsheet and other systems.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing procurement administration.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English essential.
Other desirable skills: Knowledge of relevant WFP specified software; proficiency in a second official WFP language, preferably French
Interested individuals meeting the above qualifications are required to submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of education certificates, names and telephone numbers or email addresses of three work referees by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the VA no. and the title of the position in the subject line.
Applicants should also complete and submit a Personal History form (P.11) available on the following link http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc.
Closing date: 04 June 2013
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
NB: WFP does not charge fees from applicants at any stage during the recruitment process.