World Food Programme National Administration Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Vacancy Announcement No: OMN/003/2013
Closing Date: 04 June 2013
Post Title: National Administration Officer
Grade: Fixed Term (NOA)
Duty Station: WFP’s Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, based in Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Salary Scale
This vacancy announcement is open to both male and female candidates. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the post of National Administration Officer in support of the Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa (OMN), based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Finance Officer, the National Administration Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Evaluate and monitor administrative services and recommend changes in policies, systems and procedures to ensure services are aligned with changing business needs and objectives;
- Ensure WFP’s assets and other resources under his/her responsibility are fully and properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning;
- Coordinate timely recording of RB assets and regular reconciliation of the same ensuring that applicable IPSAS standards are observed in the recording of these assets;
- Act as WINGS Local Process Expert (LPE) for travel and administration for OMN and ensure that appropriate guidance is provided to RB and OMN COs on matters relating to travel and administration;
- Ensure that contracts under Administration section’s responsibility are regularly reviewed and assessed to ensure that services provided by contractors are effective, efficient and economical for the RB;
- Assess expenditure in administration (office premises, assets, travel, etc.) for previous years; estimate new requirements and prepare budget plans for designated areas of work;
- Supervise the administration of WFP RB premises to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services;
- Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment in coordination with relevant Units;
- Review adequacy of office space requirements and make recommendations as appropriate;
- Assist or negotiate contracts with vendors and service providers to ensure cost-effective services and of quality and timely service;
- Supervise the timely recording of inventory and other assets, including office supplies and other consumables, sale, disposal and transfer of office assets ; evaluate, on a regular basis, the inventory status and transactions in the asset database; report anomalies and discrepancies for timely action;
- Draft correspondence and internal procedural directives relating to administrative matters;
- Evaluate performance of supervised staff;
- Provide guidance and/or supervision to supervised staff; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Provide efficient administrative support by applying specialized expertise with respect to a range of administrative tasks including management of a team in Regional Bureau.
- Issues are identified and recommendations provided for improvement of services.
- Efficient use of resources at all times.
- Monitoring budgets and providing accurate and complete reports in the area of responsibility.
Critical Success Factors:
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact;
- effective working relations in support of work conducted by other officers.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: University degree in Business/Public Administration, Engineering, or other fields related to office management and administration.
Experience: At least one year of post graduate professional experience in administration or facilities management.
Knowledge: Training and/or experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English essential.
Other desirable skills: Relevant experience in UN or NGO administrative management environments; proficiency in a second official WFP language, preferably French
Interested Kenyan nationals meeting the above qualifications are required to submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of education certificates, names and telephone numbers or email addresses of three work referees by e-mail to: email@example.com quoting the VA no. and the title of the position in the subject line.
Applicants should also complete and submit a Personal History form (P.11) available on the following link http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc.
Closing Date: 04 June 2013
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
NB: WFP does not charge fees from applicants at any stage during the recruitment process.