World Food Programme Human Resources Assistant Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Vacancy Announcement No: OMN/007/2013
Post Title: Human Resources Assistant
Grade: Service Contract SC4 (G4 equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP’s Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, based in Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy announcement is open to both male and female candidates. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the post of Human Resources Assistant in support of the Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa (OMN), based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the National HR Officer, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Extract and input data from various sources in the human resource database;
- Respond to human resources queries from staff in the unit and elsewhere in the Programme;
- Ensure that salary, overtime, hours of work, leave policy, entitlement, health insurance and detailed Terms of Reference are comprehensively included within the body of all Letters of Employment;
- Review supporting documentation for processing various actions; answer a variety of enquires and supply readily available information from office files, databases, liaising with other offices as appropriate;
- Verify benefit and other human resources related claims for accuracy and conformance with personnel rules and regulations;
- Draft routine correspondence and initiate process for the preparation of all staff support documentation (visas, identification cards, UN Laissez Passer, bank accounts, etc.);
- Assist supervisor in monitoring the contractual status of all staff on various appointments based in immediate location or within the office’s mandate; monitor within grade service increment schedules and ensure the timely preparation and issuance of contract renewals and personnel action forms;
- Check and maintain attendance registers, leave reports, and other forms and reports;
- Check and maintain personnel files for all staff at location, ensuring all documentation is complete; maintain and update confidential personnel information and documents, and ensure relevant documents are kept in their respective files;
- Search for, retrieve, compile, assemble and archive a variety of human resources statistical data from computer files, records, reports or from other sources for external use;
- Assist in the preparation of administrative reports; draft routine correspondence; arrange for briefings and debriefings and take notes at meetings;
- Ensure that UNDP and WFP issued human resource and personnel policy manuals, rules, regulations, guidelines, and circulars, are updated and filed regularly;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Expected Results: Produces organized, accurate and well documented records conforming to required format with well analyzed data.
Critical Success Factors:
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
- Identify and resolve operational problems.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Secondary school education preferably enhanced by Diploma in Human Resources, Business Studies or related field. Knowledge of modern office procedures and communications skills.
Experience: At least three years of progressively responsible general experience in clerical work experience, including at least one year in the field of human resources or other related field and at least one year at the G3 level or equivalent.
Knowledge: Experience in utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing human resources administration.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English essential.
Other desirable skills: Knowledge of WFP manuals in the area of human resources administration. Working knowledge (level C) and/or limited knowledge (level B) of other WFP official languages depending on area of work. Formal training in administration or human resources.
Interested individuals meeting the above qualifications are required to submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of education certificates, names and telephone numbers or email addresses of three work referees by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the VA no. and the title of the position in the subject line.
Applicants should also complete and submit a Personal History form (P.11) available on the following link http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc.
Closing date: 04 June 2013.
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
NB: WFP does not charge fees from applicants at any stage during the recruitment process.