ACORD Communication and Media Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Communications and dissemination lie at the heart of ACORD activities and Improving External Communication is one of the 4 pillars of the 2011-2015 ACORD strategic plan:
ACORD publishes a wide range of materials every year for which the Communication and Media Officer will be largely responsible.
ACORD works with the media to disseminate information and contribute to changing attitudes and policies towards achieving social justice.
The position is designed for an experienced and self-motivated person with a background in editing / writing and production of communications materials for international development organisations, and experience of working with a corporate brand.
1. Assist ACORD with all its written (print/online) communications, including adaptation of style to achieve maximum impact of messages
- Edit, finalise, oversee production, and ensure overall quality and consistency of a range of publications including technical reports, annual reports, general and targeted audience articles, information sheets, posters, thematic brochures, presentations, and others, including rewriting and tailoring language for different users, and supervision of editing consultants.
- Edit/write press releases and media background material
- Support country media work and develop a national and Pan African media database
- Write/edit material to enrich and update the ACORD website – primary responsible for ACORD website updated content (news, country/thematic pages, blogs…)
- Write summaries and syntheses of ACORD countries and partners work for dissemination
- Help in evaluating material proposed for publication, and suggesting appropriate forms for dissemination
- Evaluate branded items and ensure consistency of brand application
- Offer training to ACORD staff – in particular country staff – to support development of writing and communication skills and in branding applications
- Support the development of new communications instruments
- Contribute to a culture of information sharing and organisational learning in partnership development and communication
- Any emerging tasks within the Funding and Partnership Unit
- Master’s degree in journalism, mass communications or equivalent
- Excellent written and spoken English. French would be an advantage
- At least five years experience in editing and writing for development organisations for a variety of media
- Knowledge of African media houses and preferably strong networks among African and international press senior editors
- Familiarity with production and layout approaches
- Familiarity with the concept and application of a corporate design (brand) and of working with brand guidelines
- Excellent inter-personal skills, and ability to work as a team member with colleagues of different nationalities/cultural backgrounds
- Fully conversant with ICT and Microsoft or Mac applications
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent collaboration and team work
- Excellent networking skills
- Creativity, innovation and ability to take initiative
- Ability to work well in a multicultural environment across different geographical locations
- Ability to handle change and unpredictability
- Ability to deliver under pressure and to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- Ability to conceptualize and present ideas in a clear and convincing manner
- Good analytical and strategic skills
- Good understanding of the development challenges in Africa and trends in communication, social media, advocacy and fundraising
The contract will be for two years with possibility for extension.
On the basis of this broad TORs an individual operating plan with specific deliverables within the team and organisational work plan will be agreed with the supervisor
Remuneration: A competitive National package