United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Job in Kenya 2013
Kenya Country Office
Communication for Development Officer – NOA
Closing Date: 02 June 2013
Applications are hereby invited from suitably-qualified candidates who are Kenyan Nationals to fill the above position on Temporary Appointment in the Communication for Development Section of UNICEF Kenya Country Office.
Purpose of Post:
1. Communication engagement strategy and plan, and implementation for behavioural change.
- Provide technical support and assistance in the development, management and facilitation of the implementation of Field Office communication engagement strategy, plan of action and activities for strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change in support of country programme delivery.
- Working in close collaboration with C4D Specialist and UNICEF Lodwar field office head and colleagues, Country officials and programme Implementing Partners, provides technical assistance in and contributes to the development, management and facilitation of the implementation of communication policy, field office C4D strategy and plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through:
Behaviour development/change at individual/household levels;
Social mobilization of civil society organizations; and
Increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
Identification of key communication for development activities/support needs of Lodwar Field office Rolling Work Plan (RWP) and the development of the C4D component of the Field office RWP.
- Proposes viable recommendations on C4D strategies, approach, plans, methods and procedures in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and behaviour change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
- Provides technical support and assistance in the research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials.
- In collaboration with partners, assists in formative research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to facilitate behaviour and social change.
- Facilitate/support the generation of information and evidence that helps ensure the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated to local communities and households.
- Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
- Develop partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
- Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at community/individual/household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community participation in development programmes.
- Supports development of training materials and activities to build capacity for participatory and behaviour change communication.
- Supports development of training materials and activities for capacity building in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of programme communication intervention, in support of programme sustainability.
- Provides effective coordination and technical support to county government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
- Liaises and coordinates with programme colleagues, counterparts and partners in the development and appropriate use of communication for social development aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action. Provide technical support as required.
- Provides assistance and support to programme colleagues, counterparts, partners and community leaders, in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
- Monitor and supports evaluation of programme activities and prepare monitoring reports, documents and lessons learned.
- Carry out regular field monitoring of Communication for Development programme, especially focusing on community health strategy (CHS), Maternal and Child Health strategy, Early Childhood and Child Protection intervention, WASH (CLTS, Schools, Community and Health facility WASH).
- Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures. Provides technical advice to programme staff, government officials and partners to coordinate and manage the evaluative elements of Communication for Development milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
- Facilitate the dissemination of communication research findings, and ensures exchanges and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
- Contributes to the budget planning and ensure the compliance and the optimal appropriation of allocated programme funds.
- Provide professional input in and contributes to the budget and programme review and planning process. Assists in the establishment of programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
- Reviews the allocation and disbursement of programme funds, ensuring that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Drive for Results
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Working with People
- Planning and Organizing
Previous experience working with pastoralist communities or with similar conditions to those in job area under consideration will be an advantage.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that they forward their applications along with their curricula vitae and Personal History Form (P-11).
The Human Resources Manager
UNICEF Kenya Country Office
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate Reference No. “KCO/C4D/2013-009”in the email subject.
“Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply”