APHRC Research Officer Jobs career in Kenya 2013
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out policy relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
The Center seeks to recruit a Research Officer to work in a newly funded research project to investigate the role of multi-sectoral approaches in the making and implementation of policies for Non-Communicable Disease (NCD) prevention.
This will be done by compiling evidence on NCD prevention policy making in five African countries including Kenya using a case-study approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct a comprehensive document and literature review on established policy analysis frameworks
- Lead the process for obtaining ethical approval for the Kenya case study
- Develop study tools, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection for the Kenya case study
- Coordinate the recruitment and training of the field team as well as field work for the Kenya case study
- Conduct interviews with a variety of actors using qualitative research techniques
- Plan, set up logistics and coordinate several research-related workshops for participants from the five countries
- Coordinate policy outreach activities including policy dialogue and research dissemination events
- Assist in writing scientific papers
- Preparing project reports
- Prepare policy briefs and fact sheets from the project’s findings
- Other duties as required.
- MA, MSc, in Sociology, Public Health, Policy Analysis or related discipline with at least two years’ post-graduate experience, preferably in a research program
- Experience in research program design, implementation and coordination
- Demonstrable experience conducting field research and managing a research team
- Knowledge of computer programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Evidence of scientific writing (e.g.peer-reviewed publications, technical reports, books, etc.)
- Experience using qualitative data management software like Nvivo, and training or experience in policy analysis will be an added advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks, meet deadlines
Online applications should be sent to email@example.com by May 21, 2013.
Please, indicate “Research Officer – NCD” on the subject line of the email application or on the envelope.
The Human Resources Officer
African Population & Health Research Center
P. O Box 10787-00100 GPO, Nairobi