Swedish Cooperative Centre Regional Financial Controller Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Regional Financial Controller Eastern Africa
Duty station: SCC Regional Office, Nairobi Kenya
Reports to: Regional Director
Supervises: Regional Office Accountant
Participates in: Regional Management Team (together with Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director)
Coordinates: Team Finance (comprising SCC Country Office Administrators and SCC Finance Officers in the region
The Swedish Cooperative Centre (SCC) is a development cooperation and a not for profit organisation with no party-political or religious affiliations.
Currently in 25 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa, we work according to the principle of help to self-help, providing people with the tools they need to create a better life for themselves.
Focusing on rural development, housing and poverty reduction, we believe in the idea of working together to achieve common goals and as such, we channel our support through building the capacities of cooperative organisations, other democratic membership associations or informal groups to deliver their own mandates.
Visit http://www.utangranser.se/eng/ for more information on the organisation and our programmes.
The Regional Financial Controller has overall responsibility for implementation, monitoring and further development of the systems for general and financial administration of the SCC Regional Office Eastern Africa.
You will ensure that all recipients of SCC development funding – partner organisations or otherwise – are knowledgeable of and adhere to SCC, Sida and other donor specific regulations.
SCC Eastern Africa is organised in a team structure where active participation through exchange of experience, continuous dialogue and creation of synergies is stimulated and you will coordinate Team Finance , which is comprises of SCC financial staff throughout the region, in this.
As a member of the Regional Management Team, you shall actively contribute to the professional management of SCC operations in Southern Africa in accordance with SCC strategy, policy and instructions.
You will also be expected to adhere to the basic principles and values of SCC expressed in the global strategy, sector specific strategies and polices, as well as in the regional strategy for Eastern Africa.
- Financial management in adherence with SCC strategies, instructions and guidelines provided by SCC Stockholm headquarters, specific donor regulations as well as general good practices and international accounting standards.
- Overall implementation of high quality in practices and procedures in SCC Eastern Africa and partner organisations within budgeting, accounts and financial reporting, internal control systems, procurement, etc
- Provision of macro-economic analysis and hands-on advice in project and programme planning and of quality financial assessments of new partner organisations
- Planning, implementation and monitoring compliance with the financial management and administration processes in the region and provision of technical assistance and capacity building where gaps have been identified, documenting learning experiences, methods development and relevant processes
- Timely collection of data from the SCC Country Offices, programmes, projects and partner organisations, analyses and preparation consolidated periodic financial and required management reports for the various stakeholders
- Budgeting and budgetary control including coordination of the annual budgeting process for the region and provision of variance reports to the various stakeholders
- Cash management including cashflow forecasting and planning, cash requisitions and timely disbursements and payments, petty cash management, etc and taking an active and leading role in the implementation of FRAS/Fair Resource Allocation System
- Coordination of the annual financial audit process, following up on the issues raised in management letters and ensuring quality in the audit process for our partners
- Maintain and update agreement ledger and follow up on contract agreements with partner organisations, donor agencies and service providers
- Regional team coordination, supervision, support and training including the development and implementation of routine descriptions and templates, identification of staff training needs in financial management and control and initiate appropriate training courses and workshops
- Active participation in the development of new funding proposals together with responsible SCC staff
- Promoting networking, collaboration and joint learning with other Swedish and international development organisations that share the basic values of SCC
- MBA in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Management
- Chartered/Certified Accountant (CPAK, ACCA) and have an affiliation/be an active member of a professional accounting body
- 7 years+ relevant work experience in an INGO, at least 3 of which should have been at senior management level with overall responsibility for the finance function.
- Possess working knowledge and proficiency in computer accounting and application packages; knowledge of iScala accounting software will be an added advantage as will be Office suite packages with advanced Ms Excel
- Proven financial management experience including managing the budgeting process, cash management, statutory, management and donor reporting
- Strong facilitation skills to include capacity building of partner organizations and proven ability to manage change processes.
- Experience and interest to lead the anti-corruption work in the region
- Leadership and managerial skills with proven experience of supervising staff based off-site
- A team player with experience of working in a multi-culutral environment, is self-driven and has the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Effective communication skills with fluency in oral and written English
- The following skills: interpersonal, self-organization, analytical; negotiation and networking
- Ability to travel within the region and sometimes outside
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should send their applications to the address below.
Your application should include a covering letter that demonstrates why you are the best candidate for this position, an up-to-date CV, current and expected remuneration package, and the names and addresses of three professional referees.
Your email and Skype address as well as day-time telephone number should also be included.
Closing date: May 17th 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that we do not charge fees for receiving or processing job applications.