Netherlands Red Cross Country Representative in Sudan 2013
Position: Country Representative Sudan 100%
Duration: 12 Months (with possible extension)
Reporting to: NLRC Regional Programme Coordinator, The Hague, Netherlands
Starting date: 1 June 2013
NLRC has three international staff members in Sudan, supporting the joint operations: 1 staff (Country Representative) is based in Khartoum and 2 staff members (Health Delegate and
Livelihoods Delegate) are based in Kassala.
Summary Statement of Responsibilities
Duties Applicable to All
- Work towards the achievement of National Red Cross / Red Crescent Society goals in the country / region of operation through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork.
- Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities.
- Advise the Regional Program Coordinator on strategic directions and humanitarian developments;
- Ensure that relevant Movement policies are introduced and adhered to (SRCS policies in synchronization with NLRC, IFRC and ICRC);
- Support the SRCS in all aspects of the Project Management Cycle (assessment, preparation of proposals, budgets, implementation, work plans, monitoring and evaluations)
- Identify new activities and in communication with Movement Partners (SRCS and PNSs) preparation of relevant project proposals;
- Assist with the development of annual work plans and budgets;
- Support the effective implementation of MoU’s, Programme Contracts etc, outlining roles and responsibilities of the SRCS, the Federation, the ICRC and the NLRC;
- In case of NLRC procurements in the region, participate in the NLRC tender commission and assist NLRC logistics;
- Work closely and in a well-coordinated manner with the SRCS, the IFRC, other PNS’s and ICRC in the region;
- To facilitate and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of the donor community, international agencies and the UN;
- Monitor contextual and security situation in Sudan (and surrounding region);
- Ensure that Country and Local Security Plans are regularly updated;
- Ensure strict adherence of security policies and directions from NLRC and where applicable ICRC.
- Assist the Regional Programme Coordinator with donor applications and other fund-raising activity for NLRC support to the Sudan;
- Ensure that effective financial administrative systems governing the project activities are in place and are in line with SRCS, NLRC and donor requirements;
- Ensure timely request the transfer of funds from the NLRC Headquarters through established procedures;
- To ensure that activities are well documented in view of external reporting and audit obligations of the NLRC;
- Maintain a separate bank account for the purpose of the NLRC Khartoum office;
- Ensure that no commitments are made in the field for which no budget approval has been received for;
- Assure that all assets are well registered, maintained, and returned or handed over (after agreement with Desk Officer and donor);
- In the event the NLRC rules and regulations do not foresee, the Federations rules and regulations apply.
- Prepare and organise the structure and systems for monitoring progress and measure the impact of programs together with the M&E advisor (the Hague)
- Ensure that narrative and financial reports are drawn up timely and concisely, and submitted to the Regional Programme Coordinator in the requested format;
- Activity reporting as stipulated in the project MOU’s.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in line-management posts in emergency or developmental humanitarian work;
- University degree in the field of Community Development or Health or related social science;
- Familiar with the Red Cross/Crescent Movement’s components (and attendance of RC BTC);
- Experience in project identification, formulation, planning, management and implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience on participatory planning and review techniques;
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures;
- Experience in the field of Capacity Building and Disaster Management;
- Able to work in politically complex and challenging environment
- Good social/diplomatic skills and culturally sensitive, flexible and creative;
- Able to work independently, though in consent with Regional Program Coordinator;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with main RC Movement counterparts such as IFRC, ICRC and other actors in the Sudan;
- Africa experience required, Sudan experience an asset;
- Able to work in politically complex and challenging environment;
- Good general health;
- Proficient in English language, Arabic an asset;
- Computer skills in Word and Excel.
- For the content: Ms Fettsje Boorsma at +31 70 44 55 794
- For the procedure: Ms Annemiek van Teeffelen at + 31 70 44 55 726