VSF Belgium Community Development Officer Job in Garissa County, Kenya 2013
VSF – Belgium is a recognized developmental International NGO founded in 1995 working with disadvantaged communities to increase their standards of living, improve food security and livelihood sustainability through improved animal health and animal production.
In East Africa, our programmes focus on community based animal health services, capacity building of local institutions and governments, conflict mitigation and sustainable natural resource management.
Position Title: Community Development Officer (CDO)
Duty Station: Garissa County
Duration: 11 months
The CDO’s main role will be to mobilize and organize communities in the implementation of the VSF Belgium animal welfare project funded by The Brooke.
This will be done in a culturally appropriate manner and in accordance with standards and guidelines provided by VSF Belgium and the Brooke.
The holder of this position will be required to travel extensively to project sites within Garissa County.
The position will report to the Field Vet, Doweli project.
Project implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Apply techniques and tool kits such PRA tools to mobilize and engage effectively with equine owning communities in project areas to advance equine welfare
- Carry out needs assessment in a participatory way to identify knowledge gaps and appropriate training aids for the local community
- Develop work plans, facilitate implementation and formulate monitoring plans for the project in consultation with the programme manager and field team
- Conduct trainings and provide technical advice to target project beneficiaries and project partners following needs assessment/expression of need
- Investigate the sustainability of the project activities in improving equine welfare and in linkage with other projects strengthening community resilience
- Be at all times a role model for sympathetic and humane handling, treatment and management of working equine animals
- Monitor and evaluate the community engagement aspects of their project to ensure desired changeis being realized among equine owning communities
- Liaise with other players in the county with similar interventions to ensure synergy and collaboration
- Support the Kenya team in development of project concepts and proposals with reference to specific donor regulations
- Compile comprehensive mission specific, monthly and other relevant project reports or documentation
- Responsible in promoting cross-learning between communities through gathering, documenting and sharing best practices
- Support in other project activities as advised by supervisor
Project finance management
- Ensure prudent use of funds allocated to project activities and all field missions as per VSF B and specific donor policies
Communication and information
- Inform and collaborate with the project manager on continuous basis
- Representing and communicating the interests of VSF Belgium work internally and externally
- Promotion of team spirit at all levels
- Assist the Programme Manager to identify and effectively manage all community development related risks
- University degree in either Rural development, Livestock Production, Development studies, Social sciences or related fields from a recognized university
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of basic animal welfare concepts and an understanding of the importance of working equines to the economies of developing countries
- At least three years experience in community empowerment initiatives in pastoral regions is ideal
- Experience in conducting participatory monitoring and planning of programmes at community level
- Experience in assessing training needs and capacity building of community groups
- Proven practical experience in identifying, establishing and managing community development issues and related conflicts
- Knowledge and experience in participatory training approaches
Skills & Attitudes
- Clear strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A culturally sensitive communicator and excellent negotiation skills
- Motivation to engage and learn and be at all times a role model
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Good organization, planning and follow up skills
- Ability to work under pressure in remote areas with pastoral communities
- Ability to deal with conflict and crises and mobilize communities for appropriate responses
- Computer literacy especially with MS Word, Excel and power point
- Fluent in written and spoken Swahili and English; knowledge of the local language would be an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work flexibly and on occasions, outside of office hours
- Committed to the mission of VSF Belgium, adherence to animal welfare minimum standards and community development principles
- Proven ability to work with a range of local stakeholders including local government and project partners
- Attentive to detail
- Team player
Please send your application (reference to Community Development Officer), CV and 3 references (one must be your current employer, by e-mail to email@example.com on or before 14th May 2013
This Vacancy is open to male and female candidates.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information: www.vsf-belgium.org