Malteser International Job career in Illeret / Northern Kenya 2013
Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation.
Its mission is to provide emergency relief as well as to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development.
Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence form the basis of its work in the following areas: Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Health & Nutrition; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH); Livelihood & Social Programmes and Disaster Risk Reduction.
In Kenya, Malteser International is present since 2001. So far, programs were concentrated on TB and HIV in the slums of Nairobi, while also providing humanitarian assistance in emergencies such as droughts and floods in Northern Kenya.
In order to support sustainable solutions, drought resilience and disaster preparedness, Malteser has shifted its focus in Northern Kenya to recovery and development projects.
In August 2012, an office was opened in Illeret, one of the most remote and under-developed areas in the northern district of Marsabit County/ Northern Kenya with the aim to address the needs of the pastoralist population of the area.
Current activities, to be implemented until the end of 2013, aim at increasing the access to safe drinking water, mainly through rainwater harvesting techniques at household and community level accompanied by health/hygiene education activities, and the improvement of educational facilities.
The programme should be followed by multi-sectoral activities in the areas of livelihood/income generation, small infrastructure facilities, and possible other sectors according to needs.
All planned community based activities will ensure participatory approaches involving communities and relevant stakeholders in the design, planning and implementation of the projects.
To coordinate our programme in Illeret/Northern Kenya, Malteser International is looking for a
As a Programme Coordinator you will be responsible for implementing and developing Malteser International interventions in Illeret with administrative and logistic support by the Country Office in Nairobi.
In this position you will be supported by short term (technical) experts according to requirements and supervised by the Regional Coordinator for Africa and the regional desk in headquarters.
- Overall coordination and supervision of all programme activities in the project area according to proposals and implementation plans
- Develop and initiate multi sector activities (livelihood/ income generation, small infrastructure facilities, education) and conduct regular needs assessments
- Support mobilization of communities for involvement in programme activities
- Management of location office incl. overall responsibility for resource management (personnel, budget, material)
- Ensure the implementation of Malteser standards in administration, finances and logistics
- Ensure regular and timely project documentation and reporting according to Malteser and donor standards
- Represent the Malteser programme and coordinate with all relevant stakeholders on local, district and county level
- Keep safety standards for all staff updated according to local context and ensure their implementation at all times
- Strong programme development, management, organizational skills
- Advanced project design and project cycle management skills
- Basic technical skills
- Proven skills in community development
- At least five years working experience in development countries out of which at least two years in Africa
- Working experience with pastoralist communities is an asset
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Improvisation and multi-tasking skills
- Physical and mental strength and experience in and willingness to live and work in a remote project location and under basic conditions
- Fluency in English, knowledge of German is an asset
- Starting date: 15 May 2013
- Duty station: Illeret/ Northern Kenya
- Duration of contract: minimum 12 months (extendable)
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house, return flight
If you are interested in this position, please apply online until 07.04.2013: http://goo.gl/OXe74