Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Administrative Assistant Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Job Title: Administrative Assistant – Nairobi
Ref No: FK-2013.03.02
Deadline to Apply: Rolling application process
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Nairobi, with up to 10% travel
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) are a rapidly growing, global organization, and operates in almost 40 countries.
We design innovative, cutting-edge approaches to solving development problems, rigorously evaluate these programs and promote the adoption of those with proven impact.
IPA-Kenya (IPAK) is IPA’s oldest country office, and the site of many of its most influential research projects.
IPAK employs more than 300 contracted staff working on 20 different projects across offices in various locations around Kenya, including five administrative offices in Kisumu, Nairobi, Busia, Kakemega and Bungoma.
IPAK is also the site of IPA’s largest “scale-up” projects – including a national de-worming program and community-based chlorine dispensers.
The Administrative Assistant in IPAK’s Nairobi office is responsible for providing administrative and clerical services to ensure effective and efficient operations for the Nairobi office.
The Administrative Assistant reports to the Administrative Officer and is responsible for providing administrative support and clerical services in an effective and efficient manner to ensure the day to day Nairobi office operations run smoothly and to support overall.
This position will be based in Nairobi, however it could include temporary travel to one of our other IPAK offices in Western Kenya to provide office support when another admin staff is on leave.
Therefore, willingness to travel periodically as needed is required. A two-year commitment is necessary.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following activities:
- Assist staff with administrative duties as requested
- Maintain front desk area, keeping it clean and free from clutter
- Handle reception duties such as receiving/signing-in visitors and vendors
- Courier management, including receiving and sending parcels to other IPA offices in Kenya and distributing incoming mail and preparing outgoing mail, including bulk mail
- Type and word process documents as needed
- Order and replenish office supplies
- Update and maintain mailing lists
- Provide training to staff on security protocols
- Support orientation of new staff and visitors to the office, including office protocols related to photocopier and internet use, security, tea and access to administrative forms
- Assist Administration Officer with preparing payments and following up with Accounts to ensure payments are deposited to vendor bank accounts
- Assist Administration Officer with travel logistics, e.g., booking flights, accommodation, requesting cabs
- Support Administrative Officer with monthly reporting statistics to IPAK Operation Manager including budget totals, number of visitors to office, etc
- Maintain and periodically update the Nairobi asset inventory record
- Maintain appropriate interpersonal relationships with internal and external stakeholders including vendors, government officials and respondents
- Assist and facilitate events and workshops logistics
- Assist with various program operations as requested and as responsibilities permit
- Other duties as assigned
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, including excellent English
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team
- Mature, result oriented and keen attention to detail
- Proactivity and ability to work under minimum supervision
- Ability to perform in a high pressure work environment
- Typing skills with at least 50 WPM
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of general office machines and telephone system
- Sensitivity to the needs of persons from low income areas
- Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with others
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential information
- Ability and willingness to work long hours and weekend days as business needs require
- Diploma required in Business Administration or related field
- Ability to work non-standard business hours (tentatively 10am-7pm, periodically weekend days)
- Ability to travel occasionally to Western Kenya (up to 10% travel)
- Minimum two years clerical or administrative experience
- Proven ability to use Excel and Word
- Strongly preferred: Coursework and experience with bookkeeping especially QuickBooks and Basic knowledge in Human Resource Management is an added advantage.
- Responsibility managing a budget and tracking expenditures using Excel
- Experience working in an NGO setting
- Experience working with vendors closely to verify quality of service provision
If you are interested, please follow the instructions below:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address .
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices, or by email to email@example.com by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia, Area Code 50400, Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “ADMIN ASSTISTANT”-NBI, REF NO: FK-2013-03-02
All applicants will be considered for this position.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Administrative Assistant-Nairobi.
The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.