Give Us Wings (GUWUSA) Jobs in Kokoth Kataa, Rachuonyo, Kenya 2013
Nyaoga Site Coordinator
Give Us Wings (GUWUSA) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization rebuilding villages and restoring hope together with the people of Kenya and Uganda since 1999.
We work with community-based organizations (CBOs) and help them to develop the capacity to identify and implement solutions to the challenges they face as they work toward economic sustainability.
With an approach of transformation rather than merely direct aid, Give Us Wings funds community development projects, provides financial assistance and training for economic self-sufficiency, and funds educational and medical needs of adults and children in Kenya and Uganda.
The Give Us Wings’ Nyaoga Site Coordinator is employed by Give Us Wings USA and is based in Kokoth Kataa location, in Homa Bay County of Kenya. S/he reports to the Give Us Wings’ Programme Director located in Kisumu.
The Nyaoga Site Coordinator works in partnership with community-based organizations to develop and implement effective community-led programs to overcome extreme poverty.
S/he will oversee a dispensary, primary school for young adults, computer lab, a water programme, and liaise with GUW associated self-help groups and CBOs.
S/he consults with the GUW Kenya Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Coordination and Development
- Understand and implement all programs and projects in accordance with the Give Us Wings’ mission and development model.
- Work collaboratively with Nyaoga staff and Give Us Wings’ constituencies to:
- Help staff facilitate group discussions with CBOs/self-help groups that promote a collaborative approach to problem solving and idea generation.
- Meet and consult regularly with members of the CBOs with which we work in order to maintain and strengthen GUW’s grassroots model of development.
- Work with local staff to monitor, manage and assess projects and programs as they are implemented and ensure that they are in compliance with the stated goals of the project or program plan.
- Oversee current projects and programs, including but not limited to, health programs, adult education programs, sponsorship program, community development, and a water reservoir/water user’s association.
- Network and form partnerships in Kenya with like-minded organizations and government offices that share our vision for development work.
- Lead trainings for the Nyaoga Community Development Board and other local CBOs in basic administration and development skills.
Program Budgeting Responsibilities
- Assist in the development and implementation of program budgets.
- Assist the GUW Program Director in preparing quarterly funding requests in accordance with the established guidelines and schedules.
- Ensure the established budget for each GUW institution or project is being maintained and money is used responsibly and for the matter it was intended for.
- Prepare or coordinate the preparation of all financial reports.
- Maintain accurate balance sheets for all programs.
- Ensure receipts for all expenses are collected and correspond with balance sheets.
Human Resource Development and Management
- Supervise and ensure all human resources policies are implemented in Nyaoga programs.
Board and Leadership Development:
- Work with Give Us Wings Kenya Board of Directors to supervise, maintain, operate and evaluate Give Us Wings projects in their respective countries.
Documentation and Communications:
- To deliver detailed monthly reports to the African Programme Director of all activities of our self-help groups, dispensary, small academy, computer lab, water project and any other relevant activities
International Education, Fundraising, and Development:
- Research possible income generating activities in villages in Kenya and Uganda.
- Work with the GUW Executive Director to prepare requests and reports for funders and donors.
- Assist in coordinating individual and group volunteer trips.
- Seek out and apply for program funding from donors and grantors located in Africa.
- Experience living and working in rural Nyanza preferred.
- Proficiency in English, Kiswahili, and Dholuo required.
- Previous experience in grassroots community organizing.
- Previous experience in development, project management, and advocacy work.
- Previous experience in basic accounting/bookkeeping.
- Must possess strong administrative skills.
- Previous experience in water projects/programmes in Kenya a plus.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Must demonstrate integrity, respect for grassroots leaders from diverse communities affected by extreme poverty.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, strong written communications skills, initiative, and ability to prepare clear plans and reports on financial and program activities.
The Site Coordinator will be living in Kokoth Kataa location in Rachuonyo at minimum Monday-Friday of every week and must be flexible in hours of work. Compensation will include a salary, travel expenses, and housing or housing allowance.
Application Process: This is a challenging position for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team and help strengthen community empowerment and poverty eradication, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter;
- CV/resume which should include the full contact details of three professional references;
- A typed writing sample not to exceed one page.
Please submit all the above required information to Give Us Wings Programme Director, Danielle May at email@example.com or PO Box 615, Kisumu, 40100 Kenya.
For more information visit www.giveuswings.org for more details on the organization.