Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Team Leaders Jobs career in Nairobi and Nakuru Kenya 2013
Position: Team Leader
Deadline to Apply: March 28, 2013
Start Date: April 15, 2013
Location: Nairobi and Nakuru Counties
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action:
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project:
The current project is an innovative approach to evaluating healthcare in Kenya and will examine the ability of individuals to improve outcomes in this sector.
Using exit interviews at healthcare facilities and behavioral games (i.e. Community Workshops) in the field, the study will collect data related to patient satisfaction and the interactions of patients with healthcare providers.
As a result of these data, the study will be able to understand patients’ willingness to report on providers’ behaviors and how these decisions to report relate to patient satisfaction.
The study will also evaluate the willingness of providers to adjust their behavior based on these reports.
These relationships and the effectiveness of these reports will be examined in Nairobi and Nakuru Counties and will include public, private and NGO-operated facilities.
Team Leaders will play a central role in the study’s success and will gain valuable experience in leadership in the field, data collection, behavioral games and representing the study to officials.
Throughout their work, Team Leaders will oversee a team of three Field Officers, supervising data collection and community workshops; will work closely with the Project Associate to improve their own skills and those of their colleagues; will be responsible for daily logistics; and will represent the project in meetings with local Chiefs and facility heads.
Team Leaders’ will spend roughly half of the study in Nairobi and half in Nakuru County and will be required to travel within and between these regions.
Overnight stays in Nakuru lasting several weeks of the study will be required.
Team Leaders will be expected to work Monday through Saturday.
Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding
- Collaborate with teammates to improve own skills and those of teammates
- Relay field costs to Project Associate for reimbursement
- Represent study to healthcare facilities, explaining study and asking for the facility’s support
- Represent study to local Chiefs, explaining study and asking for support
- Supervise Field Officers conducting exit interviews and provide feedback to Field Officers and Project Associate
- Ensure that Field Officers adhere to training they received on exit interviews
- Conduct exit interviews, setting a standard of excellence for the team to follow
- Scrutinize completed questionnaires daily for completeness and consistency
- Secure completed questionnaires and deliver to Project Associate
- Manage compensation for respondents and distribute to Field Officers as needed
- Introduce Community Workshops to health facilities and recruit healthcare providers for Community Workshops
- Visit potential sites for Community Workshops and secure location to conduct these Workshops
- Confirm participation of healthcare providers and patients by phone
- Confirm availability of site to host Community Workshops
- Lead Community Workshop activities, calculate payments and distribute payments to participants
- Supervise activities of Field Officers during Community Workshops, working to improve own skills and those of teammates
- Explicitly follow Community Workshop materials and ensure that other team members do the same
- Demonstrated ability to follow written directions perfectly
- Ability to persuade others to follow written directions perfectly
- Strong oral communication skills and ability to clearly describe a study and encourage participation
- Ability to accurately complete payment calculations, including adding, subtracting and multiplying correctly
- History of providing feedback to teammates and examples of this feedback improving teammates’ work
- Examples of working on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to collect completed surveys and community workshop materials and ensure their safe delivery
- Ability to work well with others and create a team environment where assisting teammates is encouraged
- Willingness to travel within Nairobi and Nakuru Counties
- Willingness to work on Saturdays
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Experience supervising data collection activities
- Experience recruiting healthcare providers for research
- Experience with behavioral games and/or exit interviews
- Interest in healthcare research in particular
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by email to email@example.com ,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “TEAM LEADER”REF NO: HPCIR-2013.03.03
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Team Leader. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.