Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Assistant Project Managers Jobs career in Nairobi and Nakuru Kenya 2013
Position: Assistant Project Manager
Deadline to Apply: March 28, 2013
Start Date: April 15, 2013
Location: Nairobi and Nakuru Counties
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action:
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project:
The current project is an innovative approach to evaluating healthcare in Kenya and will examine the ability of individuals to improve outcomes in this sector.
Using exit interviews at healthcare facilities and behavioral games (i.e. Community Workshops) in the field, the study will collect data related to patient satisfaction and the interactions of patients with healthcare providers.
As a result of these data, the study will be able to understand patients’ willingness to report on providers’ behaviors and how these decisions to report relate to patient satisfaction.
The study will also evaluate the willingness of providers to adjust their behavior based on these reports.
These relationships and the effectiveness of these reports will be examined in Nairobi and Nakuru Counties and will include public, private and NGO-operated facilities.
The Assistant Project Manager will be vitally important to the study, working directly with the Project Associate to supervise the study’s Field Officers and Team Leaders and ensure the quality of the study and its success.
In this role, the Assistant Project Manager will gain valuable experience to further develop their managerial skills, will take on high levels of responsibility for the study and its success, will supervise data collection in the field and will perform back checks in order to ensure that data collected is accurate.
This role requires an individual with extensive supervisory experience, as the Assistant Project Manager will assist in supervising 4 Team Leaders and 9 Field Officers involved in the study.
The Assistant Project Manager will spend roughly half of the study in Nairobi and half in Nakuru County and will be required to travel within and between these regions. Overnight stays in Nakuru lasting several weeks of the study will be required.
The Assistant Project Manager will be expected to work Monday through Saturday.
Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve own skills and those of coworkers
- Represent the study to officials, including District Medical Officers of Health, requesting support for the project and explaining it purpose
- Travel to multiple study sites in a day in order to observe exit interviews being conducted
- Record feedback for Field Officers to improve data collection practices and improve coworkers’ skills
- Relay findings to Project Associate and coordinate efforts to improve staff performance in the field
- Supervise efforts of Team Leaders and confirm that recruitment and site selection for Community Workshops has been successful
- Assist Team Leaders, as necessary, in coordinating activities between teams
- Supervise Team Leaders and Field Officers during Community Workshops to ensure that protocols are being followed and materials are being read verbatim
- Record detailed notes of observations and visit multiple Community Workshops in a day
- Liaise with Project Associate to improve Community Workshop and improve the skills of coworkers
- Contact respondents by phone confirm a subset of their answers and ensure that data is accurate
- Follow randomization protocols in order to select completed exit interviews for this purpose
- Coordinate with Project Associate to improve skills of data collection staff and the clarity of data collection tools
- Extensive supervisory and management experience related to field work and data collection
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience in training staff to improve data collection efforts and their accuracy
- History of providing feedback to teammates and examples of this feedback improving teammates’ work
- Previous experience in conducting back checks on data
- Examples of working on multiple tasks simultaneously and coordinating efforts of different teams
- Ability to collect completed surveys and community workshop materials and ensure their safe delivery
- Willingness to travel within Nairobi and Nakuru Counties
- Willingness to work on Saturdays
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Experience supervising data collection activities
- Experience with behavioral games and/or exit interviews
- Interest in healthcare research in particular
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by email to email@example.com ,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “ASSISTANT PROJECT MANAGER”REF NO: HPCIR-2013-03-02
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Assistant Project Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.