CIMMYT Seed System Research Technician Jobs in Kenya 2013
Research Technician – Seed System – CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of Seed System Specialist and will assist the Maize Seed System Specialist in conducting seed research and seed increase activities and provide scientific research and project support to the Global Maize Programme.
- Assist in organizing and implementation of parental trials and any maize seed related research through activities such as preparation of the trial, field preparation, planting, trial management, data collection and organizing the data collected.
- Assist in organizing and implementation of seed increase nurseries through activities such as preparation of nurseries, field preparation, planting, field management, data collection and organization, pollination, harvesting, handling and dispatch of the seeds.
- Assist in increase of different classes of seeds in isolation fields, through activities such as field preparation, planting, field management, harvesting, processing, handling and dispatch of the seeds.
- Assist other CIMMYT maize breeding staff when work priorities dictate or when not busy with his/her specific responsibilities.
- Any other responsibility assigned by Seed System Specialist.
- BSc. Degree in Agriculture.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ practical hands in field work related to seed.
- Valid Kenyan driver’s license.
- Computer experience.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, honesty and self-motivation.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
The position will be based in CIMMYT office in Nairobi with frequent travel to locations where the Programme has activities.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectation
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
- A copy of driving licence
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) via email: email@example.com and should indicate “Application for Research Technician-Seed System – CIMMYT” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 29th March, 2013.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our websites www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org