Ujamaa – Africa Research Job Vacancy in Korogocho Nairobi Kenya 2013
Ujamaa-Africa, is a Kenyan NGO, that promotes economic empowerment, personal security and health for vulnerable women and girls.
We are looking for a driven Research professional to join an intelligent, diligent team working on research projects in Gender Based Violence Studies in urban slums in Nairobi.
We are currently involved in a groundbreaking research program which has thus far demonstrated a dramatic decrease in the prevalence of rape in the 5 urban slum areas, where Ujamaa teaches a proprietary personal security program in schools,CBOs,FBOs and in other forums.
Requirements: Creative, analytical thinker, strong presentation skills with the ability to turn complex data/concepts into clear insights.
- Manage all aspects of complex research projects, including negotiating project objectives and direction with other managers.
- Create comprehensive project plans to ensure projects are completed successfully.
- Prepare periodic presentations for management regarding research project status and recommendations.
- Strategic planning of research schedules.
- Perform periodic evaluations to allow the director to determine effectiveness of our programs and make suggestions when applicable.
- Ensure that the questionnaire scripts are well mastered by the facilitators, to maintain all ethics of research
- Ability to write protocols and prepare and submit research grant applications
- Ensure that data collected is entered into Ujamaa’s (Information System) database
- Participate in knowledge impact assessments and reporting.
- Supervise & assist field agents in any tasks that have set deadlines.
- Identify challenges and build capacity of community units and staff on facilitation, data collection, mobilization skills among other identified needs.
- Work with various research databases and Ujamaa Softwares,to input data from other departments.
- Coordinate testing, installation and compile modification reports for all departments in Ujamaa.
- Document best practices and submit work for publication in partnership with reputable Kenyan and American Universities (Current Academic Partners include USIU, UCLA and Stanford Universities)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in any Research related field.With at least 2 years experience especially of managing projects within a slum setting
- Understanding of qualitative, quantitative and participatory Research, Monitoring and evaluation methodologies and principles
- Knowledge of field research trial set-up.
- Computer skills: MS Office applications and SPSS sofware (compulory), coupled with the ability to work with customized Ujamaa Softwares.
Include your current remuneration in the application.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.