Assistant Accountant Jobs for Virunga Power in Kenya 2013
Assistant Accountant for Virunga Power
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Are you interested in joining a fast-moving start-up creating sustainable solutions to sub-Saharan Africa’s access to energy problems?
Do you have a background in accounting and want to apply your skills and experience to a renewable energy company operating in Nairobi Kenya?
Do you want to be part of creating an innovative business model to build and operate renewable energy infrastructure that will electrify rural areas at the base of the pyramid?
About Virunga Power
Virunga Power is a recently formed power company focused on creating a new model for generation and distribution of power in rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa using scalable renewable technologies.
Our goal is to develop a series of off-grid and grid-connected projects, beginning in East Africa.
The primary focus of the company is to mobilize new forms of capital to create a sustainable, affordable, and profitable solution to the problem of access to modern energy in sub-Saharan Africa.
Virunga Power is currently developing and will subsequently invest in and operate renewable generation projects of between 1 and 10 MW installed capacity across a number of technologies, but primarily focused on small hydro, biomass gasification, solar, and wind.
About the Role
The primary role of the Assistant Accountant is to keep the accounting books on behalf of Virunga Power.
The Assistant Accountant will be expected to fill an accounting role immediately upon joining.
This is a position for an initiative-taking professional who is excited about the prospect of building a business in a rapidly developing region.
The successful candidate will also be driven by the potential for creating large-scale positive impact by electrifying rural areas and providing infrastructure solutions to encourage rapid economic development for rural communities in sub-Saharan Africa.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Confirm the current set-up of QuickBooks accounting software and update the system
- Preparation and input of all company expenditure receipts into the system
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements using the system
- Update and maintain a fixed assets register including asset depreciation for the company
- Maintain and update petty cash register
- Maintain a payroll system and produce all management reports and fill statutory returns
- Maintain a daily computerized logbook for company vehicles and provide management reports
- Monthly Bank account statement reconciliation
- Filing of all statutory returns for the company and ensure that all tax computation and remittances to KRA are filed in a timely manner
- Prepare and maintain stationery office supplies and reconcile the same
- Prepare and maintain a budget for the company and prepare regular budget reports
- Preparation of audit schedules and liaising with the external financial services provider and external auditor as necessary
- Prepare additional reports and presentations for the company management as needed
- Any other official duties assigned by management
The ideal candidate would have the following skills and credentials:
- Degree in Business Administration or finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – minimum CPA II
- Proficient in use of QuickBooks is mandatory
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office
- 1-2+ years of accounting experience in an international company or organization
- Power sector experience is an added advantage
Salary and Remuneration – Consolidated KES.45,000.00 per month
This role would be well-suited for individuals who have developed skills in accounting systems and are interested in applying them in a sustainable context to deliver financial impact.
If you are interested and feel that you meet the criteria outlined above, please send a copy of your CV and brief note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted