Pwani University Jobs in Kilifi Kenya 2013
Pwani University is located 60 Km north of Mombasa in Kilifi Town off the Mombasa – Malindi Road, within Kilifi County.
The University, formerly a constituent college of Kenyatta University was awarded a Charter making it a fully fledged university by H.E. the President Mwai Kibaki on 31st January 2013.
The mission of the university is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research.
The University occupies over 500 acres of land part of which is the university farm. Currently, the institution has four schools/faculties and 13 teaching departments with a total of approximately 5,000 students, including 98 masters students and 45 PhD students, as well as 400 staff members.
The University is set to grow to 14 teaching schools as stipulated in the University Strategic Plan and as enshrined in the master plan.
This growth will include an uptake of more highly qualified staff, partner-ships and infrastructural growth. The University staffing profile rivals some of the established universities in the region.
The establishment of the institution as a comprehensive university will enable the enhancement of skills that are necessary for the Utilization of local human and physical resources for the benefit of the coastal people in particular and the country as a whole.
The University is set to grow both in infrastructure and students population.
As the University establishes the necessary infrastructure to meet the academic demands of the increased student intake, it will continue to seek solutions to its infrastructural challenges among various government and non governmental agencies, in line with the government’s public private partner-ship policy.
The Pwani University Council invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent credentials to lead the institution as its first Vice Chancellor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice Chancellor will be the Chief Executive Officer of the University and will be responsible for implementation of the Council’s resolutions.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the University and represent the University nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Be the academic and administrative head of the University;
- Have overall responsibility on the direction, organization and the administration of programs of the University;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies of the University in accordance with the University’s master plan and the strategic plan;
- Maintain efficiency and harmony of the University and ensure enforcement of the statutes and regulations;
- Provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of Academics, Finance, Planning and Development; general administration; research and partnerships.
- Play a key role in the facilitation and maintenance of linkages with government/regulatory agencies and other local/international institutions of higher learning;
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Be a holder of an earned PhD from a reputable university at the level of a full professor;
- Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience in a senior leadership role in an academic institution or research organization.
- Should have served substantively with demonstrable results at least as a Principal of a Constituent University College or as a Deputy Vice Chancellor of a university, or in other similar institutions at comparable levels;
- Should have published in internationally recognized peer reviewed journals in their areas of specialization.
- Have some understanding of government financial and fiscal policies, strategic planning and vision 2030, human resource management, procurement and asset disposal legal requirements;
- Have excellent understanding of the current trends in university education and training in Kenya and globally and a broad awareness of the factors and conditions shaping the development of university education in Kenya;
- Be a leader with potential to plan, develop and implement academic programs and develop strategic institutional linkages;
- Must demonstrate effective communication, persuasive and interpersonal skills, as well as strategic, logical, sound decision making ability.
- Have an understanding of the importance of networking, fundraising and resource mobilization in the development of the university.
- Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism, teamwork and good stewardship and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Terms & Conditions of Service
- Successful candidates will be offered a competitive remuneration package, including house allowance and other benefits in accordance with the Kenya Government public service guidelines.
- The appointments will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable for a further period of five (5) years subject to satisfactory performance
- Applicants should submit a detailed curriculum vitae, (detailing academic qualifications, professional experience, academic leadership, publications, awards/scholarships/funding, membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of certificates, e-mail addresses, telephone contacts.
- They should also provide names, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees.
- Applications and referees’ confidential reports on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent to the under-signed to be received on or before 28th February 2013
University Council, Pwani University,
University Council, Pwani University,
P.O. Box 195-80108,
Pwani University is an Equal Opportunity Employer