KEMRI Program Assistant Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Program Description: In collaboration with the Prevention and Public Health Group (PPHG) of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Global Health Sciences (GHS), the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is seeking a program assistant for supporting HIV surveillance projects in Kenya.
The assignment is based in Nairobi, Kenya, and the incumbent would begin work by end of March 2013.
This position requires a one year commitment, with the potential for extension subject to the availability of funding.
The vacancy is situated at the KEMRI/Kenyatta National Hospital campus.
Position: Program Assistant
Vacancy No. 016-02-013
- Bachelors in public health, epidemiology, field or survey management, or related field
- 2 years (post-qualification) work experience planning or coordinating operations for public health studies
- Excellent organizational, planning and coordination skills
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
Desired Skills or Qualities:
- Effective communication skills with local/international partners
- Ability to prioritize, act independently, work under deadlines, and multitask
- Excellent knowledge of and skill working with computer applications (Email, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and concepts of public health, HIV, epidemiology, and surveillance
Job Summary: Key duties include support the organization in provision of technical assistance and guidance to Government of Kenya (GOK) staff and stakeholders on coordinating plans, preparations and implementation of HIV/STI surveillance activities.
Planning, coordinating and facilitating workshops for the program.
This position requires a high-level of initiative, creativity, coordination, critical thinking and planning skills.
Project Activities & Key Responsibilities will include:
- Support post-survey logistical and operational activities including: closing out of survey, coordinating data analysis and report writing workshops, coordinating consensus meetings, follow up on required documentation, archiving of survey documentation, review and editing of final report/s etc.
- Provide technical and logistical support for other surveillance activities including: protocol writing and review, development of standard operating procedures, organizing training workshops, field staff supervision, monitoring data collection etc.
- Support of other KEMRI and/or UCSF/PPHG activities
- Routine communication and participation with SF-based surveillance team activities
- Other duties as assigned
Application should include the following:
A cover letter stating current work (if applicable), current salary, and date available to start work on the project
- A current CV with names and telephone numbers for at least 2 referees
- Copies of academic and professional certificates
- A copy of a professional writing sample
All applications must be delivered or posted so as to reach the email address by 28th February 2013.
The applications should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted