Nile Basin Initiative Jobs vacancy in Kakamega Kenya 2013
Nile Basin Initiative
Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program
Sio – Malaba – Malakisi River Basin Management Project
Position: Junior Professional Officer / Water Resources Engineer
Category: Regional Position
Eligibility: Kenya and Uganda
Duty Station: Kakamega Kenya, with extensive travel in the Nile Equatorial Lakes Region
Reporting to: Project Manager – Sio-Malaba-Malakisi River Basin Management Project
Employment terms: 1 Year renewable depending on performance and availability of funds
Expected start date: April 2013
Deadline: Friday, March 1st 2013
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is a partnership of the riparian states of the Nile. The Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program (NELSAP) is a subsidiary action program of the NBI.
The Sio-Malaba-Malakisi River Basin Management Project, one of the three River Basin Management Projects being implemented within the framework of the NELSAP oversees the preparation of the jointly identified investment projects and promotes cooperative inter-country and in country investment projects related to the common use of the shared water resources of the Sio/Malaba/Malakisi sub basin.
Countries benefiting from the project are Uganda and Kenya.
The NELSAP now wishes to recruit a Junior Professional Officer/Water Resources Engineer to support its functions.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to implement a regional project in collaboration with governments of Kenya and Uganda as well as multi-lateral development partners.
Functions and Responsibilities
Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the Junior Professional Officer/Water Resources Engineer will perform the following functions and responsibilities:
- Assist in the identification of project development opportunities, development of project concepts and proposals, and development of new initiatives and responses to emerging issues;
- Support timely and quality preparation and implementation of project work plans, monitoring plans, and training plans, adhering to the required approval processes
- Participate in preparation of terms of reference and contract for consultants and assist in overseeing the work of consultants
- Assist in the collection and updating project data and information related to the river basin. Also maintain and manage a database about the project activities and maintain a consolidated list of current and developing projects.
- Support other relevant activities in the project as a team member, as deemed necessary
Qualification and Experience
- An Advanced degree in Water Resources Engineering, Land and water management, or related field with supplementary experience in Water Resource Management and Development.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in Water Resources Engineering or management related fields.
- Excellent writing, networking, communication, presentation and reporting skills
- Fully computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office and technical software packages.
- Knowledge of GIS, remote sensing and Water Resources modeling applications
- Fluency in spoken and written English language.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, below the age of 32 should submit an online application and attach Curriculum Vitae (clearly indicating the position reference above) to the NELSAP Regional Coordinator on: email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 1st March 2013.
Priority will be given to nationals originating from Kenya and Uganda.
Only applicants who fully meet the NBI requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted.
Applications received after the closing date shall not be considered.
The NBI is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.