MSF Operational Centre Barcelona Athens Office and HR Coordinator Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Médecins Sans Frontières – OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona – Athens) is looking for an East Africa Unit Office and HR Coordinator
(Temporary position based in Nairobi)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is build around five operational directorates supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates.
The operations are implemented by 41 field teams and 20 mission coordination teams and organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens, Nairobi and Buenos Aires.
The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations
The Nairobi-based East African Unit aims to manage and support MSF OCBA operations in strict link with the HQ in Barcelona.
In order to properly support the Operations, a full support office was created in 2012 in Nairobi.
Job Context and General Objective
The East Africa Unit Office & HR Coordinator is part of the coordination team at the MSF office based in Nairobi.
S/he is hierarchically under the Deputy Director of the Operations Department (DDO) and functionally under the Head of HR Management.
S/he directly supervises all the back-office staff based in Nairobi (ACTER, Assistant /Receptionist, Driver – Logistician, IT and any other that might be appearing in the future), apart from the Preparation and Travel Officer, who is supervised by the HR Advisor in Operational Cell 5 (Rehuco).
The main objectives of the positions are two-fold:
- to make sure the correct functioning of the EAU Office is in place in order to properly support MSF operations by leading and supporting the back-office staff
- to appropriately implement OCBA HR policies in the East Africa Unit, to coordinate and develop all internal HR management processes for the office (recruiting and selection, hiring, HR management, development and training) and to actively participate in creating a positive working environment
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Coordination and Management of the support office staff
- S/he is responsible to properly guide, motivate and manage the staff under his/her responsibility.
- To coordinate the activities of back-office staff based in Nairobi (ACTER, Assistant /Receptionist, Driver, Logistician, IT officers and any other that might be appearing in the future)
- To support the staff in the process of their incorporation and assumption of their responsibilities. Follow-up the team in a daily basis by setting objectives and priorities and providing guidance regarding the content of their role. Provide feedback and do the evaluation for the support office team.
- To ensure proper coordination between the different positions and the rest of the EAU and facilitate support from the appropriate HQ Departments as needed.
- S/he is responsible to organize the back-up of the above-mentioned staff when needed
- S/he is directly responsible for the selection of (new) back-office staff.
2. Internal functioning of the EAU Office
- S/he is responsible for the definition, adaptation and implementation of MSF procedures in the EAU: HR, Finances, Facilities, Internal Organisation etc.
- To ensure consistency and information flow with the Kenya-Somalia mission in Nairobi.
- To communicate with the different Departments in Barcelona in order to streamline local procedures and to facilitate the resolution of problems.
- S/he is responsible to ensure the correct functioning of the EAU Office in General Services (logistics, facilities,administration and legal compliance) and takes decisions autonomously for those areas that have been decentralised and in collaboration with Barcelona for the rest.
3. Finance and Purchasing
- S/he is responsible for the elaboration of the EAU budget and its revisions and follow up.
- To authorise purchases and invoices (with the limits established by the DDO and Finances and Logistics department) for the EAU.
- To act as account signatory for the EAU bank accounts in absence of the main signatories.
Human Resources Management
1. HR strategy and policies
- To support the DDO with the planning exercises at the EAU, both in terms of definition of HR needs (FTEs) and in terms of strategic HR strategies for the EAU
- Regularly to analyze EAU structure and to propose changes as needed to DDO.
- To ensure that vacancies are opened in time according to the procedures set out by OCBA, and to ensure that job profiles are correct and kept updated.
- In collaboration with HR Department, to propose strategies and policies –if needed- adapted to the context and makes sure that EAU develops into an environment that facilitates innovation and integration at all levels.
- To ensure compliance with all HR policies, procedures and guides, updating them if necessary and in line with OCBA, and supporting the EAU teams in using them.
- Keep EAU teams informed and help to circulate information concerning HR news or policy changes.
2. Recruiting and induction
- To make sure the recruitment and selection processes for EAU staff are properly implemented, in coordination with the OCBA Recruiting Area Coordinator and provides the necessary technical support to the heads of the units in question.
- To ensure the transparency of the process, communications and the best feedback possible to applicants.
- To ensure the definition and implementation of an adequate induction plan for any new employees who join the EAU.
3. Administration and Remuneration
- S/he is fully responsible for staff administrative management in the EAU.
- S/he is knowledgeable about the legislation in force in the country and ensures that MSF complies with it.
- S/he is knowledgeable about MSF and OCBA policies concerning working conditions and ensures compliance with these.
- Observes and fosters confidentiality in the use and filing of all staff files on employees in the EAU.
- To participate in the revision of Internal Regulations under the supervision of the DDO and in line with the Kenya-Somalia mission IR.
- To control and implement Health and Safety procedures at the EAU, ensuring that MSF complies with rules and regulations in force and avoiding risks for employees and economic sanctions for MSF.
- To implements the health policy for the EAU office, based on the OCBA health policy and in particular the health policy for the Kenya-Somalia missions and NET.
- To adapt and implements the MSF hiring policy in the country in line with local legislation and the needs of the EAU and OCBA; ensure proper implementation at every phase (visas, work permits, first hiring, insurance, probationary periods, dismissals, sick leave, etc.).
- S/he is responsible for preparing wage slips at the EAU using the most adequate tool.
- S/he is responsible to propose and implement once approved by DDO and Head of Compensation and Policies and/or HR DIR in Barcelona any change within the remuneration of the staff of EAU (per diem, salary scale, inflation adjustment etc.) in line with the decisions related to the Kenya-Somalia mission.
4. HR management
- To perform all necessary tasks to ensure adequate management of Human Resources at the EAU office, in line with HR guidelines.
- To provide technical support to all supervisors concerning HR management, ensuring they know, understand and apply HR management policies and tools.
- To identify when support and guidance concerning staff management is needed and provide this, giving advice on Human Resources management.
- To manage potential work-related conflict between the team members.
- To monitor the working dynamics and conditions of the teams, all HR-related matters and the general standard of HR management on a regular basis, ensuring follow-up of the EAU staff in their everyday work, including attendance/absences/leave/holidays etc, and other aspects needed for the team and working environment to run smoothly.
5. Development & follow-up
- To make sure all managers identify areas of development within their staff and help in the definition and assessment of the learning needs of the staff.
- To link with the Barcelona Learning Unit on the above.
- To ensure that a competency-based Performance Management System is put into practice and followed up, according to the protocol and the procedure defined by OCBA.
- To train and support all those who have to carry out a performance management assessment.
- To organise, centralise and systematise documents and procedures pertaining to the performance management system at the EAU in line with the procedures set out by Barcelona HQ.
- In collaboration with Learning Units, to organize trainings for the staff as identified through the learning needs assessment.
- Under the supervision of DDO and HR Department, to define and report on specific HR indicators and objectives.
- to check the quality of the information management system data (SAP) and of other management tools, reporting according to the HR indicators.
Training and experience
- University degree in Economics, Business Studies, Humanities, HR or the like.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a job with responsibilities in (HR) management, preferable in the non-profit making sector.
- Consolidated experience and knowledge of global HR management (selection, administration, competency-based management, training, etc.).
- Work experience at international level is desirable.
- Fluent English. Knowledge of Swahili, French and/or Spanish desirable.
- IT working knowledge (Microsoft Office). Knowledge of the ERP-SAP system is an asset.
- Field experience with MSF or other humanitarian NGOs is a plus.
- Highly motivated and interested in the humanitarian sector.
- Timetable flexibility
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Behavioural flexibility
- Stress management
- Analytical thinking
- Results and quality orientation
- Service orientation
- Planning and organising
- Teamwork and cooperation
- People management and development
Location: Based in Nairobi, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Headquarters
Temporary contract until December 2013.
Annual gross salary + Secondary Benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
Start date: immediately
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae, and cover letter under the reference “EUAOFFHRCO” to:
Médicos Sin Fronteras / Dpto. RRHH
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.