Adeso Human Resources Officer Jobs vacancy in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Human Resources Officer (HRO)
Reporting to: Human Resources Manager
Working with: Field & Nairobi staff
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 1 year (renewable)
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The person must be able to project a professional Organizational image through in-person and phone interaction and will be a full-time member of the Adeso staff, working with the team in Nairobi, Kenya, and reports and works closely with the Human Resources Manager.
The purpose of this position is to provide administrative support to Human Resource Department in all HR functions and ensure the timely and accurate execution of the day-to-day administrative and Human Resources support requirements of Adeso.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in advertisement of open positions as appropriate by identifying relevant advertising forums.
- Ensure that all vacancy bulletins are circulated to field offices.
- Handle the recruitment activities such as interview arrangement, including preparation of appropriate documents and liaising with candidates as instructed.
- Inform job applicants of their acceptance or rejection for employment.
- To arrange and monitor induction for all staff and ensure that meetings are arranged, objectives met and that feedback is obtained.
- Ensure that the induction pack is maintained and kept up to date.
3) Employee Database Management
- Maintain the staff database (currently to be on Excel) and the personnel files for all staff in the Programmes; and collect and maintain basic details for all staff.
- To keep management informed of contracts end dates, probation dates, Performance Review dates and constantly ensures that the contracts database is up to date.
- Maintain master calendar of training and needs assessments.
- Keep a record of all training calendars for the current year
- Ensure that staff who have attended training sponsored by Adeso write a report on the training in the format designed for HRD
- To ensure that when a member of staff separates from the Organization exit interviews are conducted, equipment or documents are retrieved, final payments have been arranged with Finance and that the personal file is closed.
6) Support to Field HR Assistants
- Support and assist in coordinating HR communication between other offices and Nairobi.
- Ensure that standard Adeso forms etc. are made available to the field.
- Monitor dates relating to balances of Annual leave and sickness absence and advise staff accordingly.
- To ensure employee medical records are up to date and that arrangements are made for any medical treatment that is required.
- To ensure that staff have current National Hospital Insurance Funds cards.
- To process insurance claims on behalf of staff and ensure that all relevant policies are up to date.
- Any other duty as may be assigned.
- Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent
- Post graduate training in Human Resources function
- Minimum of 3 years HR/Admin experience from an NGO setting.
- Substantial knowledge of Kenyan employment law / labour laws and immigration procedures
- In-depth understanding of HR ethics of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, be flexible, and be willing to assume a range of unanticipated assignments Multi-tasking with positive attitude
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Word, Excel, email
- Ability to occasionally travel to Somalia and other Field Programmes
- A strong commitment to Diversity issues, Equal Opportunities and capacity building
- Must be tactful, diplomatic and possess the ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Strong communication skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Professional and friendly communication style, with the ability to field calls from a diverse group
- Excellent attention to detail and organization
- Extra-ordinary patience and willingness to learn
- Flexibility and ability to handle pressure
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 20th February 2013.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer