KenGen Managing Director and CEO Jobs in Kenya 2013
Job Ref. MN 5605
Our client, Kenya Electricity Generating Company Ltd, KenGen, which ¡s listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange, is 70% government-owned. It has 1,236MW of installed capacity from various sources – 66% Hydro, 21 % Thermal, 13% Geothermal, 0.4% Wind. It controls about 80% of the power generation capacity in Kenya.
With 1,900 employees, the Company annual turnover is over US$ 200 million (Kshs 17 billion) and has an asset base of over US$ 1.9 billion (Kshs 160 billion).
KenGen aims to be the market leader in the provision of electric energy in the Eastern Africa region.
The Company operates in a liberalized and regulated single-buyer market competing with Independent Power Producers.
The forecasted national peak demand to meet Kenya Vision 2030 objectives is 15,000MW by year 2030. KenGen is going to be a major player in attaining this national target.
In alignment with this national goal, KenGen has set out an ambitious operational and growth strategy, to grow its capacity from the current 1,236MW to 3,000MW by 2018.
It estimates a capital outlay of US$ 5 billion (Kshs 450 billion) and six-fold growth in revenues.
Launched in 2007 as Good-to-Great (G2G) Transformation Strategy, the Company has just completed the first horizon (2008-2012) and is now gearing up for the second horizon (2013-2018).
For more information on KenGen, visit www.kengen.co.ke
In order to meet the planned growth and sustain momentum of the ongoing Transformation Plan, the Board of KenGen now wishes to identify and recruit a capable Managing Director & CEO to succeed the outgoing Managing Director & CEO who has driven growth and operational effectiveness in KenGen for the last ten (10) years.
The successful candidate will be expected to assume office on 1st July 2013.
- Lead the implementation of the Transformation Strategy with the Board and proactively provide insights and direction to the implementation of committed and planned projects on time and budget.
- Ensure all project financing needs are sourced on time and competitively with the right mix of financing.
- Oversee execution of management and financial accounting roles and ensure ICT is leveraged in support of operational effectiveness.
- Oversee lean, safe and effective operations of KenGen generation assets, ensuring embedment of best operational practices across the business value chain.
- Help shape regulatory evolution in the Kenyan power sector and maintain very strong relationships with key stakeholders both local and international on all planned generation capacity expansion.
- Ensure KenGen compliance with applicable statutory, legal and regulatory requirements and standards and manage existing and emerging business risks.
- Ensure and uphold best practice Corporate Governance structures and systems in line with KenGen core values of Teamwork, Integrity, Professionalism and Safety.
- Develop and nurture a dynamic and competent workforce through a robust performance-driven culture.
- Implement Board decisions efficiently and effectively and keep the Board informed in all strategic aspects of the business.
- Establish effective internal monitoring and control systems in executing the strategy.
- Demonstrated distinguished leadership with a track record of achievements in the public or private sector backed with a minimum ten (10)years in senior management roles.
- A Transformative and Change leader, keen on detail and strict deadlines with undisputable respect and integrity.
- A holder of a minimum Bachelors degree in Engineering, Commerce, Economics or other relevant degree from a reputable/recognized university. A master’s degree or professional qualifications is an added advantage.
- Experience in multimillion dollar projects fundraising.
Qualified applicants from around the world are invited to apply for this unique opportunity to be at the pivotal drive for industry, commerce and welfare of Kenyans.
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Email your application and detailed CV, names of three referees, their telephone contacts and email addresses.
Disclose your current or past gross monthly salary.
Send your application via email only so as to reach us by 12 Noon 27th February 2013.
Executive Selection Division,
Manpower Services (K) Ltd,