RCTP Nyanza Census SEARCH Assistant Coordinator Jobs in Suba Kenya 2013
Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP), is collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW).
RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment program working in over 100 clinics in Nyanza Province, Kenya.
RCTP is seeking a motivated individual to fill the following vacancy for Sustainable East African Research for Community Health (SEARCH). SEARCH is a five year cluster randomized trial to test whether universal ART can improve health, educational, and economic outcomes.
We are going to be conducting a household census in 12 communities and annual multi-disease diagnostic health campaigns.
We will also be supporting ART delivery through FACES clinics.
Job Title: SEARCH Assistant Coordinator – Census
Vacancy No. FN-012-02-013
Reports to: SEARCH Study Coordinator
Duty Station: Suba with frequent travel to Rongo
Duration: Annual appointment, starting Mar 1, 2013
Job Summary: Overall coordination of the SEARCH study’s baseline census in 12 communities of 10,000 persons in Nyanza, Kenya
- University or bachelor’s degree or any relevant training
Prior Work Experience:
- Prior leadership experience managing teams
- Experience with supervising research (public health or clinical studies)
- Skills in grassroots community development programs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills:
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing in English and Dholuo
- Maintain frequent contact using cell phone, email, and Skype
- Diplomatic with strong leadership skills.
- Able to monitor, gather and evaluate information of broad scope and complexity
- Enthusiasm for community-based development work
- Natural ability to multitask, problem solve, and work with others to resolve challenges
- Competent with computer software applications including Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet-based applications
- Interest in working in an innovative and demanding environment with extensive travel to rural sites in southern Nyanza Province
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the planning and mobilization of 12 censuses (1 month each) over a one year period
- Regular meetings and communication with local leaders and Community Units
- Develop the census Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) with support from the Study Coordinator
- Recruit, train and supervise census staff to conduct the census according to the protocol
- Detailed training on the implementation of protocols, SOPs and questionnaires
- Provide mentorship and supervision
- Manage relationships with collaborating institutions and partners
- Participate in the ordering of supplies and equipment for the census with appropriate use of local resources when available
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of petty cash
- Ensure all census activities are completed within the timeline of the study
- Provide monthly reports on the census activities and regularly communicate with the Study Coordinator
- Other duties as specified by the investigators or Study Coordinator.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter with current position and salary (if applicable), and date available
- A current CV and at least two letters of recommendation
- Copies of official certificates
- Copy of the latest pay slip
- Names and telephone contacts of at least 3 referees
- An email address and a telephone number (land line or mobile)
Applications should be sent electronically to the email addresses below and followed with hard copies of the same to the address below: email@example.com
Closing Date: 14th February 2013
Please write the vacancy number indicated in the Advertisement
Human Resources Manager,
P.O. Box 614, Code 40100
P.O. Box 614, Code 40100
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.