International Finance Corporation (IFC) Portfolio Operations Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Background / General description:
IFC’s Sustainable Business Advisory (SBA) team in Africa works with companies to adopt environmental, social and governance practices and technologies that create a competitive edge. SBA seeks the broad adoption of these practices to transform markets and improve people’s lives.
Our work covers agribusiness, manufacturing, infrastructure, oil, gas, mining, services, and other sectors. Our programs also promote good corporate governance and strategic community investments; advance women in business, small scale farmers, and small firms; and engage the private sector in climate-change solutions.
Africa SBA’s portfolio of projects is at different project phases: some at pipeline, mobilization, implementation, while others are approaching close out.
- Work with Sector leads to ensure compliance with quality at entry requirements regarding:
- Coordinate a schedule of upcoming project discussions – pre Concept Review Meeting (CRM), pre Project Supervision Reports (PSR), and pre Project Completion Reports (PCR);
- Provide high-level review of pipeline projects to ensure key elements to project success are included during design, and managerial review. Such elements include baseline survey, budget, work plan, monitoring framework, risk and mitigation plan;
- Implement an effective system that identifies real time portfolio maintenance tasks on: i) Periodic monitoring reports on budgets and performance; ii) PSRs”); iii) Client Survey reports; iv) PCRs and v) Project termination/droppage as needed.
- Work with project teams to ensure approved projects remain aligned to SBA strategic objectives;
- Monitor projects approaching closure and provide tactical support to transaction leaders to ensure projects close out smoothly. Moreover, ensure financial and operational closure requirements are satisfied.
- Collate quarterly data from COGNOS or other corporate sources for Regional Business Line Manager (RBLM) and region review to ensure timely response to current and future portfolio, region and global business line needs;
- Collate the current data quality requirements, standardize requirements and communicate with SBA team to ensure consistent application;
- Work with Task Leaders to ensure that at project level, accurate data facilitates timely project review and meaningful interpretation;
- Set up and maintain a comprehensive SBA portfolio database linked to a similarly current IFC investment client portfolio in CAF;
- Design an alert system that identifies and monitors projects that fall out of Process and Information Quality (PIQ) requirements. Work with task leaders to remedy the shortcomings.
- Coordinate and recommend quarterly SBA portfolio reviews and ensure lessons drawn are effectively shared for real time portfolio improvements;
- Monitor on a monthly basis portfolio performance against projected targets. Business Line score card should be designed and used to track among other attributes financial and development impact achievement;
- Prepare scheduled portfolio reports as well as occasional ad hoc reports as may be required and electronically publish reports on i-collaborate, ASBAN and or others as needed.
- Minimum of a Masters degree in relevant field
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience in Project development and management.
- Strong skills in project management, financial projections, scenario analysis as well as a good knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to demonstrate autonomy and initiative.
- Exceptional ability to rapidly gain knowledge about IFC’s programs, to function in a fast-paced high-performance environment, to manage multiple tasks, and to deliver under tight deadlines with very short notice.