International Finance Corporation (IFC) Clean Cooking Program Associate / Operations Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Background / General description:
In support of IFC’s growing commitment in this area, Africa SBA is seeking an Associate/Operations Officer to manage the Clean Cooking Program in Kenya.
The Clean Cooking Program
Currently 85% of the population in Kenya does not use Gas for cooking. The alternative sources are predominantly Kerosene (65%) and Charcoal (17%) with the rest using biofuels like wood.
The IFC Clean Cooking program seeks to support the displacement of fossil fuels for cooking by increasing access of 100,000 Kenyans to liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
The specific objectives are to:
- Work with sector players to develop and refine a strategy and business model for scaling up access to LPG for the BOP in Kenya. The model developed will have the potential for significant replication in other African countries.
- Develop a Health, Safety, and Environment framework and best practice guide for LPG Unique Filling Stations business models.
- Develop and implement a Consumer Education and Awareness Campaign to address demand gaps and health and safety issues in switching to LPG across the supply chain.
Business Development and Advisory to LPG sector players
Provide advisory services aimed at developing the market for LPG targeted at BOP to firms operating at the firm, sector and policy levels.
Engagement with stakeholders
Continuously update and keep the industry stakeholders in the country abreast of the activities of program.
- Ministry of Energy
- National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
- Kenya Bureau of Standards
- Relevant sector players
- Distribution and supply chain partners
- Financial institutions
- Associations representing the renewable sector in general and relevant standard bureaus
- Other IFC internal divisions, World Bank Group and other stakeholders as required.
Responsible for reporting on project progress, budgets and M&E to IFC management and donors, e.g. through IFC’s project supervision reporting system, donor reports etc. as required.
Measurement & Evaluation
Set up tools to monitor and track the program performance in line with the log-frame. Manage individual projects as the Task Team Leader ensuring timely execution and completion of Management Information System reporting requirements. The successful candidate will have volume and development impact targets defined by the Clean Energy Team Leader.
Draft TORs, hire and manage third party consultants to execute projects. Depending on the development of the project, additional tasks will be discussed with the candidate and added or deleted to the scope of responsibilities.
Report to the Lighting Africa Program Manager based in Nairobi. In addition, s/he will also coordinate with the Global Clean Energy Specialists who oversee IFC’s global clean energy program portfolio and with the Lighting Africa team in Nairobi, as well as the infrastructure investment cluster team leader
- Minimum of a Masters degree in business, engineering, finance, economics, or related subject, and technical skills that allow demonstrating knowledge of a broad range of social/commercial issues and preferably also to clean energy.
- At least 6 years of hands-on commercial sales/marketing or business development, or managing complex programs and delivering results.
- Experience with supporting new technology ventures, SMEs or Base of the Pyramid business and marketing, ideally in Kenya.
- Experience with projects in or that interface with the private sector a must.
- Successful experience managing relationships, resolving differences, and achieving successful outcomes among multiple and diverse set of stakeholders.
- Dynamic individual, committed to and motivated by promoting economic and social development by supporting the growth of private sector companies and new markets in the clean energy space
- Strong communication and negotiation skills and ability to represent the program at senior levels for an audience of companies and government representatives.
- Determined and perseverant “go-getter”, with a positive attitude, dedication to excellence, patience for detail and the ability to translate detailed information into broad strategy and back into individual work-plans or actions.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- A strong team player with the ability to take leadership as well as supporting roles.
- Ability to handle a variety of activities concurrently in a high-pressure environment and deliver consistently. Must be open-minded with the ability to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment.
- Experience with clean energy technologies and markets is an advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken English a must, other languages a plus.
- Ability to synthesize multiple/complex messages and to identify appropriate key points for different audiences.