NGO Senior Accountant Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013 (4 Month Contract)
Our client, an international NGO focusing on resource management is looking for a Senior Accountant for a four (4) months maternity cover.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Preparation of annual and forecast budgets in liaison with the Finance team and budget holders to ensure the following year’s income and expenditure is profiled in accordance with the delivery plans and group level objectives.
- Prepare accurate and timely Weekly / monthly & updated Budget Vs Actual for a portfolio of projects in order to compare actual performance against budget. Investigate any variances and provide supporting notes where applicable. Highlight any areas of concern to the Finance Manager and budget holders for discussions.
- Ensure correct balances for deferred and accrued income and regularly review the accruals commitment to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure financial reporting requirements of client contracts are fully understood and complied with. Provide training for programme management staff in finance processes ensuring clients’ procedures are fully understood and followed.
- Regularly liaise with the Financial Accounting team to ensure the correct balance sheet position is shown in the accounts. Investigate any discrepancies and ensure sufficient justification is available to support the balances.
- Assist in the year-end audit preparations
- Produce ad hoc financial reports as requested by the Finance Manager and budget holders.
- Accounting/Finance Degree, ACCA/ CPA.
- Thorough understanding of accounting concepts and financial procedures for development partners including EC & USAID
- Strong foundation in preparing detailed Budgets and Management Accounts for projects or business units.
- Experience of explaining variances and dealing with any queries.
- Proven experience of setting up reporting for new projects through to project close down.
- Proven experience of being proactive by identifying areas of concern or areas for improvement.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in a pressurised environment and prioritise workloads effectively.
- A methodical and accurate approach to work with strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to manage the reporting for a portfolio of projects and the ability to develop a quick and thorough understanding of new projects/ business areas.
- A strong team player.