icipe Research Assistant (Social Science Unit) jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Ref. No. NRS/02/012013
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is an intergovernmental organisation funded by governmental aid agencies, UN organisations and private foundations to carry out research and training in environmentally sound and sustainable management of arthropods for improving health and agricultural productivity in the tropics.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit a suitable person to fill the position of Research Assistant in the Social Science Unit.
To assist the Social Science Unit Leader in conducting social and economic impact studies of different projects of icipe.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Design and implement ex-ante and ex-post evaluations of projects;
- Using excellent qualitative or quantitative skills, design data collection and its analysis;
- Contribute to, and write, research publications and other communications;
- Participate in designing and conducting social, economic, and gender related studies with the project team as required.
The successful candidate will be expected to have the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated interest and capacity to conduct impact assessment studies;
- Familiarity with different stages of project/programme cycle (design, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation);
- Strong qualitative, and/or quantitative analysis capabilities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and the ability to present coherent and convincing strategic analyses;
- Experience and capabilities in data collection and data analysis will be an added advantage.
- A completed MSc in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development Studies, or related field, optimally with relevant experience in rural development in developing countries.
- Ability to travel.
- Two years’ work experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
This position reports to the Social Science Unit Leader.
Applications will be accepted up to 15th February 2013, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Human Resources Department
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health
P.O. Box 30772-00100