icipe Bioinformatician (Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics Unit) Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Ref. No. IRS/03/012013
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is an intergovernmental organisation funded by governmental aid agencies, UN organisations and private foundations to carry out research and training in environmentally sound and sustainable management of arthropods for improving health and agricultural productivity in the tropics.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit a suitable person to fill the position of Bioinformatician in the Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics Unit, enrolled on the H3Africa Bioinformatics Network grant.
To provide support for training and data analysis at the Centre, and in collaboration with a network of bioinformaticians in 20 African countries, as well as geneticists and clinical researchers who will be generating large health-related datasets for analysis.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Manage and ensure quality control of genomics and other metadata;
- Design, establish and manage databases to store and share sequencing data; and
- Develop pipelines for genome assembly, annotation and other computational analyses.
The successful candidate will be expected to have the following skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of bioinformatics computational packages;
- Solid working knowledge of various bioinformatics packages used for genome data analysis; and
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in English.
- Skills in Linux installation, configuration and administration;
- Knowledge of genome sequencing strategies; and
- Familiarity with concepts in Next Generation Sequencing, Genotyping, Genome Wide Association analysis, SNP/Variant analysis.
- MSc degree in bioinformatics or closely related field.
- At least one years’ working experience in a bioinformatics position.
- Proven experience in programming and web-site development.
- An understanding and working knowledge of advanced computer systems such as high-performance clusters.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills that establish a good working relationship with customers/clients.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
This position reports to the Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator.
Applications will be accepted up to 15th February 2013, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Human Resources Department
icipe- African Insect Science for Food and Health
P.O. Box 30772-00100
icipe is an Equal Opportunity Employer