Food for the Hungry (Africa) Jobs vacancy in Kenya 2013
Job Type: Full Time
This position is open to qualified applicants who have the legal right to work in Kenya, Nairobi.
Position in the Organization
Purpose of the Job
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Key Result #1 – Provide direction and oversight for the development, implementation, maintenance and monitoring of global HR standards and HR functions in the Africa region
- Create, implement and maintain the Africa HR Strategy collaborating with country HR leaders and Global HR Office.
- Work with Global HR Office to define minimum HR standards required by each country office, audit each office’s status on meeting the minimum requirements and help HR country leaders to create a plan to close any gaps.
- Advise and support HR country leaders regarding implementation of HR functions including leading practices, change management techniques, integration with Global HR Office and compliance with local law.
- Report timely and up to date HR metrics for the regional office and support HR country leaders in reporting HR metrics for each office.
- Advise and support HR country leaders and senior leaders regarding interpretation and implementation of HR policies and procedures and importance of compliance with applicable legislation and regulations.
- Work with the Global Recruiter, Expat Staffing Coordinator and International Employment Services Manager to support recruitment and ongoing employment services of regional office staff, Country Directors and expatriate staff in the Africa region.
- Support HR staff in country offices to develop and strengthen HR skills and capabilities.
- Coordinate the implementation schedule and preparation activities necessary for each country office to implement systems such as the HR Information System, Learning Management System, and Job Evaluation System.
- Certify as a Vision, Mission, Values (VMV) Master Trainer and equip appropriate country office staff to certify as local VMV trainers.
- Serve as a Protection Regional Trainer and train designated country and regional office staff in Protection roles, including to provide ongoing support for compliance with the protection policy.
- Serve as a Regional Investigator of protection and harassment claims, including gender based violence.
- Support HR country leaders and collaborate with Global HR Office to create Staff Care standards, structures and processes (for example, cross-cultural communication and sensitivity, emotional and physical well-being, safety and conflict management etc.).
- Manage the remuneration process (e.g. job descriptions, job groups, job evaluation, wage scales, benchmarking and salary adjustments).
- Train and support HR personnel in country offices how to write effective job descriptions, complete job evaluation, determine salaries for new hires and adjustments, conduct yearly benchmark surveys and maintain the salary structure.
- Serve on a global team to provide checks and balance on job evaluation to ensure proper use of the job evaluation system and compliance with FH Global Remuneration Philosophy.
- Coordinate and support creation of salary structures in each Africa country office.
- Plan and facilitate quarterly meetings with HR leaders across Africa offices.
- Serve on global HR task forces and contribute to the HR Center of Excellence representing Africa offices and providing input to the global HR strategy, structure and systems.
- Advise regional office and Global HR Office on legal issues, seeking advice from relevant authorities.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Christ
- Strong working knowledge and experience of Human Resources practices
- Cross-cultural communication and sensitivity
- Good experience in working with virtual teams
- Excellent people skills
- Project management experience
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, organized, with the ability to proactively solve problems
- Ability to learn new concepts and ideas, adaptable
- Strong working knowledge of computers and MS Office Suite
- Ability to travel (up to 25% per year internationally)
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) and certificate in Human Resource Management or a related field and at least five years of working experience in HR or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Direct experience within an NGO is a nice to have.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- French language skills is nice to have.