CIMMYT Research Technician Jobs in Kiboko Kenya 2013
About our Organisation
CIMMYT is committed to improving livelihoods in developing countries.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
CIMMYT is an international non-profit research and training center with direct links to about 100 developing countries through offices in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, relief and health agencies, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The position will be based at the CIMMYT Field Station at Kiboko.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Scientist / Maize Breeder, providing technical support to CIMMYT Scientists and Research Assistants by carrying out the following activities:
- Assist the Scientist in the planting and day to day management and supervision of pollinations in maize breeding nurseries at Kiboko
- Assist the Scientist and Research Assistant in harvesting of nurseries and trials
- Assist in electronic data capture and data management from nurseries and field trials
- Assist the Scientist in supervising field technicians and skilled labour
- A Diploma in Agriculture or Horticulture. A Bachelor’s degree will be an added advantaged.
- 1-2 years’ experience in the field of crop production or seed technology
- Practical experience in working with field layout will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively work as part of a team
- Ability to effectively work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
- A valid Kenya driver’s license.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the
Human Resources Unit,
World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF),
PO Box 30677,
OR via email: email@example.com
and should indicate “Application for RESEARCH TECHNICIAN – CIMMYT” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 8th February 2013.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF and CIMMYT by accessing our web sites www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org