CIMMYT Research Assistant Jobs in Nairobi Kenya 2013
About our Organisation
CIMMYT is committed to improving livelihoods in developing countries.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
CIMMYT is an international nonprofit research and training center with direct links to about 100 developing countries through offices in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, relief and health agencies, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The position will be based at CIMMYT Nairobi office.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Scientist / Maize Breeder, providing technical support to CIMMYT scientists by carrying out the following activities:
- Assist the Scientist in the planting and management of pollinations in maize breeding nurseries at various locations in Kenya
- Assist the Scientist supervise field breeding activities including seed preparation, planting, managing and harvesting of nurseries and trials
- Assist in the designing, planting and managing maize breeding multi-environment trials in eastern, central and southern Africa.
- Assist in planting and execution of managed drought stress maize trials in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Assist in the management of seed and trial shipments to CIMMYT collaborators
- Assist the Scientist in supervising research technicians
- Under the direction of the Scientist manage seed storage including labelling and seed inventories
- Carry out electronic data capture, data management and data analysis
- Assist in drafting journal papers from CIMMYT research related work for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Under the direction of the Scientist coordinate CIMMYT project research activities at other locations in Kenya
- As directed provide technical assistance to Visiting Scientists and graduate students
- A Master’s degree in Plant Breeding or Genetics
- 3-4 years’ experience in the field of plant breeding
- Experience in use of SAS or GenStat statistical software for data analysis
- Experience in the use of Field book software for data and pedigree management is a prerequisite.
- Experience in working on maize and especially for stress tolerance including drought and soil fertility will be an added advantage
- Practical experience in working with field layout will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to effectively work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, strong team spirit, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
- A valid Kenya driver’s license.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the
Human Resources Unit,
World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF),
PO Box 30677,
OR via email: email@example.com
and should indicate “Application for RESEARCH ASSISTANT – CIMMYT” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 8th February 2013.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF and CIMMYT by accessing our web sites www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org