Food for the Hungry Finance Manager Job in Kigali Rwanda 2013
Job Type: Full Time
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include the following.
Key Result Area #1 – Overall Financial Management and Compliance 55%
- Develop, coordinate and implement plans for the control, monitoring and reporting of all FH Rwanda financial operations;
- Develop, review, update and implement effective financial policies and procedures for FH Rwanda that comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), local and global FH policies, donor requirements and all relevant Rwanda regulations and norms;
- Cultivate and maintain an expertise on the rules and regulations of various donors and provide guidance in the area of donor compliance;
- Maintain current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensure compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Provides direction to the Finance unit and manage the Finance Team to follow routine weekly and monthly schedules and meet deadlines;
- Collaborate closely with the HR Manager to recruit, orient and train all finance department staff;
- Conduct regular finance staff performance evaluations and supports key staff in addressing gaps following through on personal / professional development plans;
- Manage finance staff travel and vacation to coordinate staff absences to avoid gaps and minimize risks in key responsibility areas;
- Identify capacity development needs within the department and organize appropriate trainings.
- Support Program Managers in strategic and routine budget management, including budget planning, preparation and monitoring.
- Through use of monitoring tools such as the Programs-Finance-Logistics scorecard, coordinate closely with the other departments to ensure an efficient and effective use of resources and assets;
- Work with regional finance managers to appropriately implement the new indirect cost recovery model;
- In collaboration with the CD develop, maintain and advise on the overhead budget (current and projected);
- Provide analysis and review in the preparation and revision of new grant proposal budgets (ensuring all costs are well estimated and provided for) and work with the Regional Finance Manager (RFM) on the review and close any gap in relation and in close consultation with the head of program and CD;
- Work closely with Program Managers to maintain and update the quarterly MYFP budget forecasting tool;
- Perform high-level analysis of spending vis-à-vis budgets and planned cash flows to point out areas of potential over/under spending.
- Perform regular checks of FH’s accounting activities in all its site offices, including monthly reviews of financial transactions to check for appropriate documentation, correct account assignment and approvals;
- To ensure that adequate internal controls are in place, closely monitor all financial activities and keep the Country Director advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
- Take a leadership role in facilitating internal (Africa Region Internal Auditor) or external audits. Liaise with the International office and other stakeholders in the planning and coordination of any of these audits as in a team we stand and defend effectively;
- Take appropriate action with departments concerned to address audit findings and recommendations, follow through on action plan commitments and share all through the CD to the key levels or offices;
- Pursue the protection and maintenance of FH Rwanda assets (cash, inventory, equipments) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures;
- Ensure appropriate control and security of all FHA/Rwanda cash resources at all times; reconcile advance accounts, other balances monthly and as per the internal controls/policies/procedures.
- Supervise monthly financial closing process in Sun System (review, upload and post monthly journals);
- Maintain a sound management to the accounting system or packages FH Rwanda uses appropriately to avoid any kind of misuse;
- Provide an accurate monthly updated Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and cash balance reports with some narrative explanations;
- Ensure that, on monthly basis, balance sheet reconciliations are completed on timely basis and that country standard report and supporting data are reviewed and produced on a monthly basis;
- Consolidate monthly financial reports to provide project managers with timely reports on fiscal health, including revenue/expenditure reports, expense reports by grant and budget variance reports, among others;
- Complete the monthly FH Rwanda finance scorecard and any of the associated request in regard;
- External: Direct the preparation of, reviews and approves all donor financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements and ensures the review of such reports by the Country Director prior to submission;
- Fully respond on all the reviews at any time from the RFM or at times to these which may come from the Global office or National Organization (NO) directed to the FM due to urgency copy RFM and CD or head or the programs.
- Review, upload and post monthly Cash Flow journals into Sun system before monthly deadlines;
- Monitor monthly cash flow, and work with program staff and others to better estimate cash needs;
- Monitor and assess cash levels in Kigali and for any sites if any vis-à-vis spending plans, contractual commitments, etc. to sufficient operational funds available, and vendor and labor payments are made promptly upon receipt of necessary justification documentation. Ensure regular contact with local bank management on routine operational matters with FH Rwanda including negotiation of exchange rate, e-Banking timely and efficiently give information and advise accordingly and where applicable;
- Ensure that FH Rwanda policies on program advances, credit terms, credit cards and use of bank payment instruments are in compliance with FH requirements;
- Review payments and ensure they are in compliance with FH requirements before their approval by the Country Director.
- Assist accounting and human resources with payroll processes to enable accurate and timely distribution of salaries and benefits;
- Review all contracts (both personnel contracts and vendor contracts) to ensure their compliance with FH policies before submission to the Country Director for final approval and signature.
- Collaborate with Logistics staff to establish and maintain accounting standards, transparent procedures, and donor compliance regarding procurement activities using the purchase procedure and policies, procurement plan and schedule efficiently;
- In collaboration with Log and Admin maintain critically all the lease and rent schedules, Vehicle Logs etc. and be in position to advice the best rates and when this go diverse.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily.
- Has a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in our Vision, Mission and Values
- Has thorough understanding of development and/or missions
- Has a strong aptitude for organizational change, participatory and servant leadership, innovation, learning, team building
- Is interested in the growth and well-being of the staff
- Strong people-management and leadership skills
- Application of computer Literate (Microsoft Suite, Advanced Excel)
- Proven Experience & application knowledge of Sun Systems V18.104.22.168 Sun systems, Vision XL and Vision Executive on hand and fluent operation and interpretation level.
- Must have a proven knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and a practical knowledge of financial systems and internal controls.
- Proven experience in treasury activities, establishment and monitoring of budgets, and an understanding of data processing concepts and systems.
- Must demonstrate compatible to FH VMV with proven leadership skills, strong Christian values and able to work in a cross cultural setting.
- Must be able to travel (10%)
- Must have good oral and written communication skills, team building skills, and ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with multi-national staff.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and ability to diagnose finance issues and mitigate effectively with a balanced procedural aspect avoiding any conflict of interest in a cost effective manner.
- Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant any equivalent.
- Should have minimum of 6 years experience in a similar or senior finance position with an International NGO preferably with experience of Africa south of the Sahara.
- Should have practical experience in using a wide range of accounting software including V22.214.171.124 Sun systems, Vision XL and Vision Executive on hand and fluent operation level.
- Must have a degree in Business Administration (Accounting) or Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) from a reorganized and certified institution or university.
Finance accountant will report directly to this position and any other staff under Finance unit
- Studies, understands and applies FHA Foundational Principles and Vision and Mission and values
- Develops and maintains good working relationships between fields, National Organizations and Enabling Services
- Effectively and efficiently manages all resources entrusted to him/her for work purposes
- Maintains an attitude and behavior in accordance with FHA values and principles
- Complies to all policies of FHA