World Health Organization Finance Assistant Jobs vacancy in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Language: Very good knowledge of English and the local language
Experience: At least six years of related experience in accounting and/or administrative work
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Former UN Agency experience prefered
- Capacity to travel to Somalia
- Provide support to the country office, as related to the preparation and monitoring of budget estimates, financial transactions, e-imprest, journalization, and liquidation of payments and facilitate the timely transfer of funds for Programme activities.
- Provide assistance to national and international staff and non staff on all issues related to financial matters.
- To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State’s health and development agendas, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
- Guidance is provided in the form of work programme, account guidelines, administrative and financial instructions.
- Incumbent determine priorities and performs day-to-day routine tasks independently.
- Complex issues or exceptions from established procedures are discussed and resolved with supervisor.
- Considerable judgment and interpretation are involved to determine appropriate methods for the processing of the various accounting tasks and in adapting established practices to assigned work.
- Complete work is reviewed by supervisor (s) for accuracy, adherence to the established procedure, deadlines and compliance with related policies.
- Contribute to the development of the WRO programme budget, OSERs and workplans. Maintain an overview on budgetary, funding and related financial issues, closely monitoring deadlines, obligations, gaps etc. Draw supervisors’ attention to specific/unusual discrepancies or problems, recommends necessary corrective actions.
- Initiate, consolidate and prepare periodic reports on the budgetary situation, implementation rates and special financial reports; prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required. Initiate correspondence and answer queries related to area of work.
- Administer and manage the E-Imprest system, scrutinize and select data from variety of sources, ensure accuracy in calculations and attachment of necessary supporting receipts of payments and authorizations. Process and monitor of eImprest GL’s and all eImprest transactions including review of services purchase orders – Imprest, DFC’s, GES and other activities with the aim to ensure accuracy of financial data, adequacy of supporting documents and maintenance of proper accounting records. Ensure compliance with financial procedures and WHO rules and reply to auditors’ queries.
- Advise and brief all staff and non staff on financial rules and procedures pertaining to allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters.
- Initiate, verify and process financial transactions and payments for WRO office and sub- offices related to staff and non staff costs, purchase orders, local purchases, etc, based on authorizations received from EMRO and GSC. Process eImprest transactions and monitor Imprest GL’s including processing and reviewing of services purchase orders – Imprest, DFC’s, GES and other activities; ensure accuracy of financial data, adequacy of supporting documents and maintenance of proper accounting records.
- Ensure that country office cash books are fully reconciled and any difference in reconciliation is justified; prepare cash counts and to reconcile with the cashbook on a monthly basis
- Oversee timely transfer of program funds and award budgeting GSM workplans. Monitor distribution and amendments of awards, follow up on cash receipts and unapplied receivable balances, monitor revisions of amounts vis-à-vis award distribution by SO/OWER and budget centre, check validity of awards, reporting deadlines and linkage of awards to projects and initiate action for expenditure batches.
- Participate in preparation of proposals for resource mobilization and support WR and national partners, in the follow-up of multi or bilateral pledges to ensure the availability of funds for the implementation of workplans and programme activities.
- Compare cash books with bank statements to compute gain and loss in exchange rate on monthly basis and liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
- Replace and assist other colleagues in the team and perform other related financial and administrative duties as required
- Submit clean statement of account to Budget and Finance Office, EMRO, through maintaining internal expenditure control systems which ensures completeness of required documentation/approvals/clearances.
- Identify and report funding/budgeting problems, report discrepancies to project managers and propose alternatives to ensure alignment and compliance with business rules and financial practices.
- Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions.
- Update and maintain all financial filing systems and records (electronic and hard copies).
Application is opened to both Somali and Kenyan Nationals
Send applications (CV + motivation letter) to: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org before 8 Feb 2013 (included)