FAO Somalia Site Civil Engineer Jobs in Galkayo Municipalities 2013
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/06/2013
Position Title: Site Civil Engineer
Duty Station: Galkayo Municipalities
Eligible Candidates: Somali Nationals Only
FAO is implementing livestock related infrastructural interventions in especially in Galkayo North and South, as part of the EC and Italian support to livestock marketing and processing infrastructure programme.
The livestock marketing basic infrastructure constructed under the Italian project will guarantee better handling of livestock and a reduction in livestock losses due to improper handling and thermal stress.
The Site Civil Engineer will be based 100 percent in Galkayo municipalities, Mudug region and Galmudug, to oversee the various construction works and provide technical backstopping to the contractors.
- Undertake daily supervision of the construction works of the livestock market, meat markets and slaughterhouses in Galkayo Municipalities;
- Provide guidance to contractors concerning all civil works, plumbing works, electrical works, roofing, finishes among other necessary works on site
- Report regular updates regarding work progress and a comprehensive weekly report full with pictures detailing what was completed during the week, the challenges incurred and solutions to FAO Supervising engineer, FAO field Manager, Garowe office and copy to Infrastructure and Capacity Development Advisor
- Will ensure that the site log book for each construction work is filled on a daily basis regarding the work progress, materials delivered and quantities, skilled and unskilled labour engaged, challenges and solutions incurred and solved,
- Maintain regular contact with Ministry of Livestock & Animal Husbandry in Galkayo Municipalities Focal Points giving them regular updates of work progress, any challenges encountered and solutions sought
- Support the contractors in liaison with FAO concerned officers to resolve amicably and expediently any conflict that may arise which may hinder the speedy implementation of the construction work
- Facilitate the safe custody and installation of livestock slaughter equipments once procured and on site
- Facilitate and accompany monitoring visits by FAO, DFID and Evaluation missions.
- Facilitate and take part in PPP meetings and actions for managing the slaughter houses and meat markets.
- Perform any other duties that may be identified by FAO field Manager, Garowe office, FAO Civil Engineer and Infrastructure and Capacity Development Advisor
- Basic university degree or diploma in related field (civil engineering, electrical engineering or related engineering works)
- Minimum 3 years of proven working in construction works including slaughterhouses which will be an added advantage
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to act as a liaison person between government officials, Community and FAO in the event of conflicts
- Fluent and excellent oral and written skills in English and Somali languages
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think critically
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Sensitivity to the social and cultural environment of Somalia
- Ability and willingness to act on any other impromptu works not listed in the TOR format.
UN-Somalia Ngecha Road Complex
Corner Lower Kabete Road/Ngecha Road
P.O. Box 30470-00100,