FAO Somalia Site Civil Engineer Jobs in Galkayo Municipalities 2013
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/06/2013
Deadline for Application:
7th February 2013
Position Title: Site Civil Engineer
Duty Station: Galkayo Municipalities
Organizational Unit: Somalia Country Office (FAO-Somalia)
3 months with possible extension
Eligible Candidates: Somali Nationals Only
Anticipated Start Date:
FAO is implementing livestock related infrastructural interventions in especially in Galkayo North and South, as part of the EC and Italian support to livestock marketing and processing infrastructure programme.
The programme is aimed at constructing two local slaughterhouses, constructing one meat market, rehabilitating one meat market and constructing one livestock market in Galkayo Municipalities (North and South).
The successful completion of well equipped slaughterhouses with ancillary facilities and rehabilitation of meat markets will promote compliance with food safety standards set up by World Animal Health Organization (OIE) and Codex Alimentarius Commission of World Health Organization/Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (WHO/FAO).
FAO is implementing two projects in the two municipalities titled; Improvement of livelihood of vulnerable households in urban and peri-urban areas OF GALKAYO; funded by EC. It is being implemented together with ILO which is the lead agency and Terre Solidali (TS) for establishment of PPP for facilities management.
This project will support construction of the two slaughterhouses, one meat market and rehabilitation of one meat markets; one each in Galkayo North and South. A second project is titled; “Support and Diversification of Livelihood Opportunities in Urban/Peri-Urban Centres of Puntland” funded by Italian government for construction of one livestock market in Galkayo North.
The new modern slaughterhouses and rehabilitated meat markets will facilitate meat producers to comply with food safety and quality assurance systems of Good Hygiene Practices (GHP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Sanitary Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) system principles. Compliance with these systems will mitigate simple preventable foodborne diseases like E. coli, Salmonellosis, Campylobacteriosis among others that can otherwise be transmitted to consumers through unhygienically produced and retailed meat.
High hygiene meat production and retail standards will further reduce microbiological contamination with spoilage bacteria like Pseudomonas that reduce the shelf life of meat causing early meat spoilage.
This causes meat retailers to incur huge economic losses. Furthermore, provision of ancillary facilities and equipments will promote safe recovery of white offal and hides and skins that are currently discarded on site. This will contribute to improved incomes and create more jobs for all interest groups.
The livestock marketing basic infrastructure constructed under the Italian project will guarantee better handling of livestock and a reduction in livestock losses due to improper handling and thermal stress.
The animal sheds and loading ramps will improve the welfare of the animals, protect them from physical injuries, thermal stress and related depression and provide conducive opportunities for humane loading practices respectively.
The perimeter fence will safeguard the livestock market from private developers and ensure security of livestock overnight among other facilities that will be put up.
The Site Civil Engineer will be based 100 percent in Galkayo municipalities, Mudug region and Galmudug, to oversee the various construction works and provide technical backstopping to the contractors.
The Site Civil Engineer will report directly to the FAO Civil Engineer who is the supervising engineer and indirectly to the Infrastructure and Capacity Development Advisor with overall supervision of the EC and Italian Project task Managers, Head of Livestock Unit and FAO Officer in Charge and the FAO TCEO.
The Officer will also work in close collaboration with the FAO Garowe office, the project National Coordinator in Puntland, as well as with the Ministry of Livestock, Galkayo Municipality and other relevant institutions.
In particular, the Officer will:
- Undertake daily supervision of the construction works of the livestock market, meat markets and slaughterhouses in Galkayo Municipalities;
- Provide guidance to contractors concerning all civil works, plumbing works, electrical works, roofing, finishes among other necessary works on site
- Report regular updates regarding work progress and a comprehensive weekly report full with pictures detailing what was completed during the week, the challenges incurred and solutions to FAO Supervising engineer, FAO field Manager, Garowe office and copy to Infrastructure and Capacity Development Advisor
- Will ensure that the site log book for each construction work is filled on a daily basis regarding the work progress, materials delivered and quantities, skilled and unskilled labour engaged, challenges and solutions incurred and solved,
- Maintain regular contact with Ministry of Livestock & Animal Husbandry in Galkayo Municipalities Focal Points giving them regular updates of work progress, any challenges encountered and solutions sought
- Support the contractors in liaison with FAO concerned officers to resolve amicably and expediently any conflict that may arise which may hinder the speedy implementation of the construction work
- Facilitate the safe custody and installation of livestock slaughter equipments once procured and on site
- Facilitate and accompany monitoring visits by FAO, DFID and Evaluation missions.
- Facilitate and take part in PPP meetings and actions for managing the slaughter houses and meat markets.
- Perform any other duties that may be identified by FAO field Manager, Garowe office, FAO Civil Engineer and Infrastructure and Capacity Development Advisor
Minimum qualifications and Selections Criteria:
- Basic university degree or diploma in related field (civil engineering, electrical engineering or related engineering works)
- Minimum 3 years of proven working in construction works including slaughterhouses which will be an added advantage
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to act as a liaison person between government officials, Community and FAO in the event of conflicts
- Fluent and excellent oral and written skills in English and Somali languages
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think critically
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Sensitivity to the social and cultural environment of Somalia
- Ability and willingness to act on any other impromptu works not listed in the TOR format.
Send your application to:
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/06/2013 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal History (PH) form available at http://fmt.faoso.net/documents/PH_form-Blank.docx .
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to HR-Somalia@fao.org.
The subject line of the e-mail message should read CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/06/2013.
If making a hard copy submission, the envelope should be clearly marked CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/06/2013 and sent to the following address:
UN-Somalia Ngecha Road Complex
Corner Lower Kabete Road/Ngecha Road
P.O. Box 30470-00100,
Applications may also be faxed, again clearly indicating CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/06/2013 in the subject line, to +254-20-4000333.
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.