AMPATH Accountants and Accounting Clerks Jobs vacancy in Eldoret Kenya 2013
AMPATH is a program under the auspices of Moi Teaching & Referral Hospital and Moi University in collaboration with Indiana University School of Medicine, all uniting their resources towards tackling Kenya’s major health problems.
AMPATH operates in mainly the North Rift, Western and Nyanza Provinces.
AMPATH is the umbrella of all sponsored projects within the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital and Moi University College of Health Sciences.
AMPATH Plus is the grant given to AMPATH by the American people through USAID in support of its activities in HIV care and other related activities.
The purpose of the grant is to provide support for a 5-year Program jointly carried out by Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Moi University and Indiana University, which is sub grantee.
AMPATH is seeking to employ suitable persons for RSPO to further strengthen the ability of RSPO to handle all administrative and finance activities for AMPATH in the following sectios:-
AMPATH is seeking to employ 6 Accountants and 3 accounting Clerks with the following skills:
- Accounts Receivables & Collections
- Accounts Payable and Supplier Relationship management
- Inventory Control and asset register management
- Banking Relationships and bank reconciliations
- Audits and examinations of financial transactions
- Research proposal pre-award budgeting
- Financial Reporting
- Accounting clerking
Job Title: Accountant
5 Positions (3 AMPATH plus and 2 Other grants)
Apply principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports by compiling information, preparing consolidated financial statements, and developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements.
Will also be responsible for the maintenance of its fiscal records, the preparation, promotion and interpretation of financial reports for management and Principal Investigators.
This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
- Perform accounting functions as assigned including, but not limited to book keeping, reconciliations and reporting
- Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology.
- Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
- Prepare forms and manuals for accounting and bookkeeping personnel, and direct their work activities.
- Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs and to recommend, develop, and maintain solutions to business and financial problems.
- Appraise, evaluate, and inventory real property and equipment, recording information such as the property’s description, value, and location.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, and document business transactions.
- Establish, maintain, and coordinate the implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Analyze and review budgets and expenditures for donations, contracts, and grants.
- Monitor and review accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare and review budget, revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies.
- Recommend, develop and maintain financial data bases, computer software systems and manual filing systems.
- Supervise the input and handling of financial data and reports for the company’s automated financial systems.
- Interact with internal and external auditors in completing audits.
Reporting & Analysis:
- Assists in preparation of monthly project reports report and accompanying schedules, worksheets and narratives, including “Budget vs. Actual” variance reports.
- Assist in providing follow-up and documentation of significant variances.
- Assist with completion of the quarterly and annual regulatory filings; preparation of assigned Quarterly and Annual Statutory Statement pages/schedules.
Lead financial reporting & analysis efforts including:
- Coordination of annual budget process;
- Weekly & monthly reporting to Principal Investigators;
- Budget Variance Analysis including monthly reviews with Chief Accountant and principal Investigators;
- Financial Statement Analysis;
- Provide detailed financial and operational analytics in support of monthly updates;
- Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Analyze project operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice;
- Analyze revenue and expenditure trends and recommend appropriate budget levels, and ensure expenditure control.
Audits & Examinations:
- Assist with annual external audit: Complete requested materials; Assist in preparing assigned schedules for the annual and interim audit.
- Assist with testing and receive final approval for system reports required for management, financial reporting and general ledger reconciliations.
- Examine financial transaction supporting documentations to ensure completeness, accuracy, timelines and allow ability of costs
- Authenticate source documents for all financial transactions
- Coordinate and resolve various issues with bank such as cleared check differences, bank fee anomalies, targeted balance calculations and enhancements to online services.
- Act as a Bank liaison delivering RTGS &SWIFT and collect any required bank documentation
- Managing the cash transfer process in liaison with appointed CIT service provider and the Bank
- Banking of revenue
- Processing, tracking and reconciling payments through the web based M-pesa platform
- Review daily transactions via internet Banking portal for all bank accounts
- Charged with the responsibility of proper donor invoicing within standard polices reflective of the donor requirements.
- Work with any and all personnel to assure timely and accurate invoicing occurs by Interfacing with section heads, project coordinators/ managers and principal Investigators.
- Manage employee advances/imprests
- Manage cash application making sure all cash receipts are applied properly to respective project.
- Assure that the institutional standard template regarding invoice sample is in place for every donor
- Assure timely payment of pending invoices
- Monthly reporting of invoicing totals/aging totals/cash receipts/invoice adjustments
- Explain billing invoices and accounting policies to staff, vendors and clients.
- Have knowledge and apply cost principles and regulations specifically:
- Allow ability, types of costs, cost transfers, shared costs
- Working knowledge and apply of Office of Management and Budget Circulars: A-21 Cost principles for Educational Institutions & A-122 Cost Principles for Non-profit Organizations
- Working knowledge and apply Agency Specific regulations. Preferably: NIH Grants Policy Statement (NIHGPS), USAID Regulations, EU Donor Regulations, UN Bodies Regulations and other major donors
- Interpret Funding Opportunities Announcement and picking out: Key dates, Download application package & templates, identifying Budget Conditions: Ceiling, indirects, subcontracts, periods, budget limits on prime and subs & developed vs developing countries, prior approval for direct costs.
- Identify and classify appropriately costs in proposal budgets
- Produce Budget Justifications/Narratives for proposal budgets
- Assist in Submission of application package to funding agencies
- Conform with and abide by all regulatory guidance and internal policies & procedures.
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Provide accounting policy orientation for new staff.
Other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification, Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles/IFRS
- Knowledge of financial and accounting software applications.
- Knowledge of US federal financial regulations and financial regulations of other major donor funding agencies
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Knowledge of Kenyan Law affecting financial transactions e.g. Income Tax Act, Employment Laws, NSSF Act, NIHF Act
- Active Listener , Critical Thinker , able to Monitor/Assess performance of oneself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action, good Judgment and Decision Making, Active Learner and ability to Communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Two to four years of experience in a similar position; experience with operations preferred.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting, finance, and/or business administration or related field from a recognized University is required
- At least CPA II
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook Access and PowerPoint.
- Experience with QuickBooks and Serenic will be an added advantage
Job Title: Accounting Clerk
3 Positions (2 AMPATH Plus and 1 other grants)
The Accounting Clerk will performs a variety of general accounting support tasks in an accounting department including:
- Verifying the accuracy of invoices and other accounting documents or records.
- Update and maintain accounting journals, ledgers and other records detailing financial business transactions (e.g., disbursements, expense vouchers, receipts, accounts payable) and ensure appropriate filing
- Enters data into Financial Information System
- Ensure expenses are allocated correctly to specific projects , Compile data and prepare a variety of reports.
- Reconciles records with internal sources or external vendors or customers.
- Recommends actions to resolve discrepancies.
- Investigates questionable data.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Organizational, verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task is an asset.
- Requires 1 year experience.
- At least CPA I
How to apply:-
Candidates who meet these requirements and are interested should submit their applications enclosing copies of certificates together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, day time phone numbers and 3 professional referees to;-
The AMPATH Chief of Party/C.E.O.
The AMPATH Chief of Party/C.E.O.
P.O. Box 4606,
The application should reach him on or before 29th January 2013 at 5.00 pm.