FAO Somalia Local Security Assistants Jobs vacancy in Hargeisa, Garowe, Mogadishu 2013
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/02/2013
Deadline for Application: 1st February 2013
Position Title: Local Security Assistant
Contract Type: Service Contract
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 12 Months with possible extension
Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge (O.I.C.) FAO Somalia and direct supervision of the Field Security Officer or in his absence the National Security Officer, and in close collaboration with the Head of the Field Office and the UNDSS office at the duty stations, the LSA will;
- Continuously assess the security situation at his/her duty station and report developments affecting FAO operation to the FAOSO Field Security Officer, communicating to the Head of Field Office or OIC when required either verbally or in writing.
- Establish working contacts with key members of the local Government authorities, clan chiefs and elders and others related to the security community.
- Provide close security support to FAO program operations in the field, in coordination with UNDSS on the ground.
- Maintain an updated list of FAO staff members working or travelling through in his/her respective area of responsibility for the purpose of tracking and reporting in collaboration with HR unit and the Head of Field Office.
- Assist FAO staffs in preparing and submitting security clearances when needed.
- Assist FAO field missions on ground security arrangements, convoy planning; in coordination with UNDSS.
- Participate in security cell meetings and Area Security Management Meeting conducted by UNDSS in his/her duty station.
- Maintain copy of the area Security Plan, including updating staff lists, area specific MOSS and SRAs.
- Observe staff compliance to Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) and report incompliance to Field Security Officer and /or National Security officer.
- Identify MOSS equipment needs of FAO field offices and initiate/request and monitor procurement of MOSS compliant equipments.
- Assist Field Security Officer and the National Security Officer in organizing training courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness for FAO staffs.
- Monitor performance of local guard forces deployed to FAO field offices.
- Be responsible for the accountability of FAO security equipment and stores at his/her duty station.
- Attend to any other tasks assigned by the Field Security Officer, National Security Officer or FAO Somalia Officer in Charge. Collaborates with the Head of Field Office regarding the security management of operations within its area of operation and assists him/her when required
- Minimum high diploma from accredited institution.
- A university bachelors degree or higher is preferred.
Technical Competencies and Experience Requirements:
- High level of awareness on security matters and an understanding of different levels of risk and threat.
- Ability to take initiative and use judgment to identify threats against the UN (personnel or property) and take appropriate action/report to the Field Security Officer, through the National Security Officer or in their absence to the FAO Somalia OIC in a timely fashion.
- Willingness to work long hours, under difficult conditions and often at high levels of stress.
- Highly motivated and have the ability to think quickly and react with initiative to rapidly changing situations.
- Have good inter-personal and communications skills and the ability to interact readily with UN staff members at all levels.
Send your application to:
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/02/2013 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal History (PH) form available at http://fmt.faoso.net/documents/PH_form-Blank.docx .
UN-Somalia Ngecha Road Complex
Corner Lower Kabete Road/Ngecha Road
P.O. Box 30470-00100
Applications may also be faxed, again clearly indicating CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/02/2013 in the subject line, to +254-20-4000333.
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.