Adeso REGAL-IR Program Operations Manager Jobs in Isiolo or Lodwar Kenya 2013
Organization: Adeso- African Development Solutions
Position Title: Operations Manager – Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands: Improving
Resilience in Kenya (REGAL-IR) Program
Reporting to: Deputy Chief of Party
Working with: Field Staff
Program / Duty station: Isiolo or Lodwar
Duration: 1 Year
Starting date: April 1st 2013
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The REGAL IR program is a 5 year initiative aiming to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth by strengthening social, economic, and environmental resilience in pastoral and transitioning communities in Kenya’s arid lands.
It has six strategic objectives including diversifying livelihoods, improving value chain inclusiveness, natural resource management, conflict management, disaster risk reduction, and improving nutrition.
The program will be based in Isiolo County and implementing in Isiolo, Garissa, Wajir, Marsabit, and Turkana. The Operations Manager postion will be based in Isiolo or Lodwar with frequent travel to field offices.
- Provide timely logistical support to the program
- Coordinate security services to program
- Support Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) on all operations matters
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
The Operations Manager will develop and implement operations protocols for all administrative, logistics, transport and security functions in all field offices.
She/he will act as focal point for all security related matters of the program and provide regular security information and analysis to inform program and other management decisions in order to ensure the safety of staff and assets.
The Operations Manager will also attend all security related coordination meetings and maintain collaboration with NGO SPAS, UNDSS and relevant partner organizations active in program sites.
He/she will undertake a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- Design and Implementing procurement system in line with USAID policies and guidelines;
- Oversee the implementation and enforcement of storage and transport systems;
- Ensure efficient procedures for timely delivery of goods and supplies to field offices and maintain tracking system for supplies;
- Ensure proper inventory and tracking of all program assets, equipment;
- Establish maintenance systems and procedures for assets, equipment and premises;
- Assist in the development of program budgets in regard to transport, security, procurement and logistics;
- Supervision of administrative, transport, procurement staff;
- Ensure that the IT department maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries for all organizational offices;
- Liaise with other NGOs and the UN agencies in Nairobi and field level regarding Security and logistics matters;
- Generate a monthly operations report for the senior management team that reviews and analyses key indicators and develops strengthening or corrective actions
- Develop and implement a capacity building plan for program staff and 12 month handover plan
- Supervise and manage all administrative, logistics, transport and security staff in the field.
- Primary point of contact for all security issues within the program;
- Orient staff and visitors on security and operations at field offices;
- Maintain awareness of the security environment of all program offices;
- Review, update, implement and enforce security policies and procedures for the program in all field offices. Reviews and updates physical security guidelines, protocols, and emergency plans on an ongoing basis and updates them where necessary.
- Provides detailed analysis and recommendations for security and travel for any event or program activity held in field offices
- Provides routine and emergency security updates to program staff;
- Develops a network of professional security contacts and local actors;
- Maintains a relationship with NGO SPAS and UNDSS and attends security coordination meetings;
- Provides on-going security training and refresher courses on all aspects of security protocols to program staff
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 4 years of professional experience in logistics, procurement, security awareness and management and operations working in a post-conflict or conflict environment. Knowledge of NGO operations strongly preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Logistics/Procurement, Business Management, Social Sciences, or related field. A Masters degree/professional qualification in one of those fields is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, command of local language desirable
- Demonstrated capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical conditions with limited resources.
- Proven security management skills, with emphasis on the unique security requirements of humanitarian aid work.
- Practical knowledge of tools and mechanisms and procedures for personal and organizational security. Have a broad understanding of the global security issues.
- Experience with telecommunications devices (SAT phones, Thurayas) preferred.
- Experience working with multi-cultural teams.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills ,
- Gives attention to detail and has an analytical mindset.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Public relations oriented with tact, diplomacy and respect for social protocol;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a rapidly changing professional environment.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and other relevant applications;
- Ability to maintain momentum on multiple activities and processes simultaneously;
- Demonstrated integrity, maturity, independent thinking, and judgment;
- Willingness to undertake extensive travel to field offices
- Willingness to assume a range of unanticipated assignments;
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building resilience and economic growth in Africa, please submit your application to email@example.com, or hand deliver it to THE FORMER RED CROSS OFFICE, ISIOLO TOWN quoting the position on the envelope, by 5 February 2013.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer