AMREF Jobs vacancies in Lokichoggio, Turkana County, Kenya 2013
AMREF is the largest indigenous health development non governmental organization based in Africa.
Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, AMREF aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health.
With headquarters in Kenya, AMREF has programs in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Sudan, South Africa and West Africa.
Employing over 800 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $70 million, AMREF is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information visit our website www.amref.org
AMREF Kenya is looking for individuals, who are well organized, highly motivated and results oriented to join a dynamic team and help bring lasting health change in Africa.
Under the Child and Reproductive Health Programme with a funding from Big Lottery Fund (BIG), the project will be implemented in Turkana County (North and West districts).
This project will focus on maternal and child health interventions working in collaboration with Ministries of Health.
Ref No: KCO/BIG/001/2013
The position is based in Lokichoggio, Turkana county and reports to the C&RH Programme Manager.
Purpose of the Job:
To provide managerial guidance and technical leadership in the implementation and expansion of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership and project management through co-ordination and supervision of the implementation of project activities.
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate project activities including writing technical reports for donors as well as for internal purposes.
- Facilitate capacity building activities for the project implementation team and other stakeholders.
- Lead in operations research, document and share results for advocacy in order to influence relevant policies and practices.
- Work with program staff to document and disseminate best practices and lessons learnt.
- Manage project resources including staff, finances and assets.
- Develop and promote partnerships and networking with relevant stakeholders including but not limited to donors, relevant Government of Kenya Ministries and NGOs.
- Ensure project integration and growth by participating in country office and program meetings.
- Participate in the development of new concepts and proposals for fund raising.
- Represent AMREF in partners and collaborators consultative meetings.
Qualifications and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should have a Masters Degree in Public Health or relevant Social Sciences discipline with at least five years relevant work experience in managing large and multi-site projects.
Must be ICT proficient.
Must be experienced in project and budget management, operations research, monitoring and evaluation and implementation of community health strategy, including proven ability to engage local authorities in programming.
In addition the ideal candidate must be an excellent communicator, team player and have visionary leadership.
Previous experience in hard to reach areas is an added advantage.
The successful candidate must be able to take up the post by latest 1st March2013 and must have excellent written and spoken English.
Ref. No: KCO/HR/BIG/002/2013
The position is based in Lokichoggio, Turkana County and reports to the Project Manager.
Purpose of the Job:
To provide technical expertise and support project activities and implementation of the project strategy.
- Develop project activities with timely and regularly reviewed detailed costed work plans.
- Assist in monitoring and evaluation of project activities and report on outcomes.
- Co-ordinate and participate in planning and implementation of project activities.
- Develop/adopt relevant materials to support field activities.
- Plan, implement and maintain records of field activities.
- Manage activity budgets including processing relevant financial transactions.
- Liaise with relevant partners, stakeholders and collaborators at activity level.
- Participate in operations research within the project.
- Participate in concepts development and writing of new concepts and proposals for fundraising.
- Participate in capacity building activities, field visits and meetings with relevant partners and stakeholders to strengthen networks and partnerships.
- Participate in the development of health promotion related materials (IEC) in liaison with the relevant partners.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports relating to the project; assist in preparation of annual work plans and progress reports as per donor requirements.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- The ideal candidate should have a first degree in Social Sciences or its equivalent.
- Must be ICT proficient.
- At least three years relevant work experience in a health promotion field.
- Experience in community mobilization, networking with key stakeholders and implementation of the community health strategy are essential.
- Previous experience in hard to reach areas will be an added advantage.
- Should be a team player, a good communicator in both written and oral English, and be able to work under minimum supervision.
- The successful candidate must be able to take up the post by latest 1st March 2013.
- These are challenging opportunities for dedicated and highly motivated professionals.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and help bring lasting health for Africa, please quote the position and reference numbers in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, to the
Human Resources Manager,
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for submitting applications is Friday, 25th January 2013.
We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
AMREF is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.